• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do your jeep's seatbelts lock?

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
I discovered today that no matter how hard I pull on my Cherokee's seatbelts, I cannot get the things to lock. Is there something im missing here? Do they only work with the car running or at speed? I just don't get it. Anyway, I would really appreciate it if someone with a 97-01 could go outside and yank their seatbelts and check for me.

joe

darjevon said:
Anyway, I would really appreciate it if someone with a 97-01 could go outside and yank their seatbelts and check for me.

Mine lock, but only under heavy braking or on sharp angles. Never managed to get them to do it by pulling on them.

Haynes repair manual says they are designed to lock up during a sudden stop or impact, yet allow free movement during normal driving.

There are a couple major types of seatbelt arresters used:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/seatbelt3.htm

One way to test if it works is to take the vehicle out to a parking lot of flat road (with no other vehicles or people around) and go about 15-25mph and pull up the parking brake or slam on the brake if your belt locks up you know it works. If it is a foot operated parking brake you'll end up riding out a fun skid because you more than likely won't be able to hit the brake release.

Last edited:
Back