• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 vs 8.25 spiders

Exxon Valdez Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
dumb question, but, are D30 spiders close enough to the same size as a 27 spline 8.25 spiders that I could have possibly hammered (most likely dumb thing to do) the d30 spiders onto the 8.25 shafts? I am taking the lockright out of my jeep and putting the spiders back into the 8.25.

Exxon Valdez Jeep said:
dumb question, but, are D30 spiders close enough to the same size as a 27 spline 8.25 spiders that I could have possibly hammered (most likely dumb thing to do) the d30 spiders onto the 8.25 shafts? I am taking the lockright out of my jeep and putting the spiders back into the 8.25.

You mean the side gears. The spiders are the other set of gears that rotate on a pin.
Anyway, no I don't think they will fit.

I am tired, yes the ones on the shaft, side gears. apparently the shaft size on a d30 is 1.16" and the 8.25 is is 1.17 so I could have easily put the wrong ones in the d30 and now the wrong ones in the 8.25. crap.

I think i put the 8.25 side gears on the d30 (which I sold 9 months ago, and that guy has sold again since) and now Im stuck with a some d30 side gears that are 0.01 to small to go on the 8.25 shafts.

The junk yard should have what you are lookng for. And no, Dont hammer the 8.25 axles into the D30 side spiders. I know its only one thousands, but get the right parts, and do it right the first time. Plus, I dont know if the D30 side spiders will fit in a 8.25 carrier. Oops!

Maybe there is a burr or two that is holding you back from getting them on? Still, your better off getting the right parts.

I dont think its a burr, neither one wants to go on and I cant find my old 8.25 spider and side gears to put in.
I think I am going to use this as an excuse to put that 8.8 in that has been sitting in the shed waiting for its day.

good enough reason for me...:laugh: I waited 8 yrs to do the bent d30 on the front of mine. finally wasted the front axle disco last winter. changed it over the summer, now the ol'lady tells me to scrap the truck...:banghead:

I dont know.....I feel stupid now though...lol

Back