• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ took a hit from the rear, new exhaust routing

tgoff

NAXJA Forum User
Well my XJ's rear end got the better of a 90's Mazda Protégé but my tail pipe took a lot of impact. Since I had it exiting right below my rear bumper. The Mazda just got the bottom of my bumper missing my gas tank and shackles but messed up my exhaust. My bumper which is already line-x coated was not bent and just has some paint marks on it. My tail pipe got bent up bad and my tip got wedged in-between the gas tank and shackle. It also got bent in such a way that my muffler was rubbing on my drive line. I am now looking for ideas from those of you who have custom exhaust routing so when I get hit in the rear again I can drive off without having to unbolt my exhaust. I like this set up from intrepidXJ a little bit but I would like to see more ideas to help me get it right the first time. Thanks.
DSC00006.JPG

What are the odds of this happening again? Just replace it and move on...

JohnX said:
Odds are good it'll get trashed again if he spends any time in big rock.

Exactly. I had already bashed my tip off road some where along the trail but it wasn't really noticeable since it was on the bottom. Now since I will be getting it replaced for free I want to set it up right, tucked up tight.

No overall bumper damge done as seen here
1210061404b.jpg

Paint left along whole bottom edge of bumper
1210061404a.jpg

Damage done to the tip of the exhaust from the car impact
1210061403.jpg

Damage done from the tip being wedged between the shackle and gas tank
1210061403a.jpg

Damage done from the impact. Notice the tear in the exhaust pipe at the hanger weld location
1210061402.jpg

Currently I really need to drive it to get to school (finals week) so I just unbolted the exhaust and am hoping I don't get pulled over.

Last edited:
I have mine kicked out before the shackle under the quarter panel. This is further along than the top one shown and gets it out better into the air stream rather than still being under the body where it could be sucked back in through the hatch if your seals are not perfect and you have hot gases passing over the fuel tank too.
You have to see if this still can be done though with a standard shackle hanging though as mine has been dropped 3".
Someone here has it coming through the lower rear quarter too which is a neat out of the way idea. You just need to drill say a 3 1/2" hole right through and seal this to the body inner and outer panels with a 3 1/2" tube and then pass your exhaust through this.

GoJeep, do you happen to have any pics of your routing or the routing that has it exit through the rear quarter pannel?

XJFire said:
so you have a small hole in the exhaust and you are replacing it?

Along with the small hole the whole cat back system got bent out of shape and my muffler was rubbing on my drive line. I am getting it replaced because I don't like having exhaust leaks, having my muffler rub against my drive line, and it should be free to me to replace since I got rear ended.

Last edited:
When I redid my exhaust with a rusty's tailpipe. I just cut it short of the shackle. I have a C-rok rear bumper and if you look from the side, its leaves a nice departure line from the gastank skid and leafs, anything below that would become rockfood, so I just cut it short, so far no issues.

tgoff said:
GoJeep, do you happen to have any pics of your routing or the routing that has it exit through the rear quarter pannel?

Didn't have any of mine so just went out and took a couple for you. I dont have a picture of the other but it was on this site.

Exhaust002.jpg

I used the stock exhaust bracket which I bent the flat plate that normally holds it in place by the towbar bolts to get the right amount of drop.

Exhaust003.jpg

I actually used stainless steel nudgebar that I cut up from the front of a Nissan Patrol Ti to make the whole tail pipe.

tgoff said:
I like this set up from intrepidXJ a little bit but I would like to see more ideas to help me get it right the first time. Thanks.
DSC00006.JPG
I did the same thing & have no problems with fumes entering the cab area. I know the seals on my rear doors & hatch are shot. JIM.

i bashed my stock exhaust on lots of rocks at the Fall Fling this year. i survived. the rear most hanger on mine is rusted through and allowed enough play to let the pipe not crush.

i like the way go jeeps pipe angles down but is still pretty protected. something similar with a bend before the body panel/bumper and is near flush should save it from most abuse.

This gives you some idea what a exhaust inside a tube going through the quater panel looks like. On the XJ I saw it was a bit higher though and had a chrome ring around it so you didn't actually see the outer tube poke out at all.

My exhaust is routed so it exits over my passenger rear left. Works great, out of the way, doesnt get in the way when flexed

I know in VA you won't pass an inspection unless the exhaust clears the body. Mine is just cut off in front on the shackle (under the body) right after the hanger. I have a extension for inspection days.

Isn't a suitable heat-resistant, flexible tubing available that could be used for the last 2' or so....?

Here is the new routing. I like it a lot better then the old set up. Tucked up nice and tight so no more getting bashed by rocks and I will be able to drive away after getting rear ended. With the better bending the jeep has a slightly different exhaust node then before. Looking at or driving behind the jeep the exhaust is not visible at all which gives it a pretty clean look. Very happy with the work and how it turned out. Thanks for all the ideas. I really wanted to turn it sideways and have it exit through the rear quarter panel but this would just have been to much of a pain in the ass and more money. Does anyone else have their exhaust routed like this? If you have a different exhaust routing post up with pictures to give others ideas.

Notice no more crinkled bends.
0112071532.jpg

0112071531.jpg

0112071530.jpg

Back