• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust help for the clueless, overwhelmed, and confused

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
This isn't Fergie, this is his Dad, but I'm using his account on here. This place has a wealth of information, and wading through all of it can be a bit confusing, so I'd thought I'd give posting a try.

Here is my XJ below, with the travel trailer that I'll be towing. The first shot in the driveway is of the trailer freshly hooked up, no extra supplies or anything in the vehicle. Second shot is completely loaded for a 2 week trip.
IMG_0135.jpg

12-03-06031.jpg

I used to tow a Casita, and didnt have problems on grades and that sort, but this new one is bigger, and heavier, to the point that the Jeep wants to hunt for gears all the time, and is lacking power when fully loaded.

I'm looking for some bolt on power boosters, specifically on the exhaust side of things, as I already have the intake side covered.

I'm looking for an exhaust system that is NOT louder than stock, maybe just a small bit, but I don't want it sounding like Fergie's when he had the Flowmaster on it. From what I have read, the dynomax super turbos would fit the bill, but dont seem to last more than three years.

A highflow cat that will increase power is also on the list.

Mainly, I'd like the increased torque and some HP for towing the trailer, minus the in cab drone that Fergie had all the time.

So, would you suggest?

Thanks

Fergie's Dad

My friend has a Dynomax Super Turbo cat back exhaust and a high flow cat. He said that he can notice an improvement in low end torque the most and some horsepower gain. He likes the kit a lot, and it isn't too loud. I'm pretty sure he got it from Quadrartec. I know they offer the kit (without the high flow cat) and they aren't that expensive either. Also look into getting a header maybe?

to get any real power increase your going to need to upgrade your entire exhaust, starting w/ the header. theres alot of them around, i had the pacesetter, and i liked it alot, but its not the best one out there, just very cheap.

A header would definitely help as would a free flowing exhaust. Depending on the year you have there there may be a indent in the cross over tube (clearance for the front u-joint), and the pipe might be the smaller size. If I where you I would go with a quality header, stock cat, Flowmaster 50 series muffler, and a 2.25 pipe to the tip. Your son I'm sure has the 40 series which can drone quite loud, and the Dynomax's tend to burn up the fiberglass batting over time making them louder. Try to find a performance muffler shop the carries Flowmaster, and talk to them. They should be able to help you pick out a quiet but free flowing muffler that will last.

Slo-Sho said:
More power w/o the noise?....Re-Gear it.:spin1:

Good call. I would suggest no lower than 4.10 for stock size tires.

Something else I would do before towing anything that big (if it has not already been done) is a tranny cooler. Won't help in the HP, but it will help your tranny.

4.10s would help alot on a 29-30" tall tire for hauling.

Well, the re-gearing is somewhat low on the list. I'm uncertain about this as Fergie had many issues with his XJ when it was regeared, and I don't want the same hassle. He has already told that the 4.10s would be perfect for what I do, without affecting around town driving too mcuh.

I've already got a trans cooler as part of the stock tow package, so no issues there.

Recommendations on headers for torque? Looks like Pacesetter has the longest primaries, but has complaints on quality, as does Banks. More research I guess.

Thanks

"Hunting for gears" is an indication that you are driving in too high a gear. I drive in 3rd (automatic) and lock out 4th on anything except dead-flat roads. If the tranny is hunting, it is also developing a lot of heat- bad place to be. Running in 3rd is an option for those of us that don't tow often enough to justify a regearing.

Just go somewhere different from your son when you get gears. All that money in exhaust isn't going to the "bang for the buck" equal to gears when it comes to benifits for what you're wanting.

Back