• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help tonight! mods can delete afterwards

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
i know that this has been asked before about bolts stuck in the sleeve, but i need some advice on my situation that im in, MODS you can delete this after tonight

alright, i got one shackle on.

now, as i moved over to the passenger side, i expected it to go smoothly (as the second time through usually does) and it did, until i got again to the upper shackle bolt.

i have unthreaded pretty much all the way now, but it still isnt clearing the lip on the threaded area. (by this i mean it is unthreaded, but when i try to pry the shackle, it wont go anywhere because the point of the bolt is still in the hole. AND to make matters worse, it wont thread back in. I KNOW THAT IT IS STUCK IN THE SLEEVE just to clarify.

i need this for tomorrow (its not imperative, but its something that i would really like to happen) so my question is, what can i do.

id really like to keep the bolt in tact (so that i can at least put it back together tonight and not leave it jacked up...)

but if that is not possible, should i just get a sawzall and cut where both the bushing ends are, then just remove the other pieces (or let them fall out)

Thanks
Travis

PB blaster and big hammer, if you can get it to move back in a little you can then theoretically move it out as well. Hit up an Autozone or the like for a gear puller or ptman arm puller and try that.

If none of the above work, return the puller and take along the other bolt and buy 2 of them that match the factory one. Go home and cut out the stuck one and put in the new shackles.

Good luck and while you have it up "adjust" the exhaust hanger with the hammer.

will a pitman pullar fit in there though, its a tight space, it just barely fits my 3/8" deep socket and my torque wrench (maybe 1 inch on the outside)

already had the PB and a BFH almost broke out the 15 lb sledge heh, realized doing that to a jacked vehicle was a bad idea and calmed down heh heh.

bang bang bang crunch ooooowowwwowww

Yeah the gear puller may not fit, I have a small one that will. When mine bound up I used the BFH and a cold chizzle, did not make reusing the bolt an option though. You could also torch it but that is a little close to an ignition source for me.

i had this problem and struggled by myself for an hour or so with the pb a breaker bar and bfh. my little brother came out, saw me, jacked the axle up about 3/8'' pulled the bolt wth two fingers. told me i was an idiot and went to work witout even getting dirty.

my axle is dropped, its always the little things heh

no, i finally got it out, it is really siezed in there, i put it on the vice to see if i could have ever gotten it out, NO WAY. man it was frozen solid.

after killing a sawzall blade and a half and not doing anything, i just said, you know what, my 4 inch grinder hasnt let me down yet, and boom, cut through the bolt shaft in about a minute. then i used my hammer and a breaker and out popped the shackle. now i just gotta wait till tomorrow to get a bolt and ill be good.

Back