• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Turns to Start?

ryang007

NAXJA Forum User
my 99 sport always takes 2 turns everytime i try to start it...always starts...common problem? solutions?

Do you mean two times? If so no, it's not normal.

Try just turning the key to on twice and then try and start, if that helps the fuel pump in getting ready to fail.

yeah...the first time i try to turn the key...it tries to start....second turn starts it everytime.

I kind of have the same problem, maybe someone can share some tips with me on the subject, My 95 XJ, with original injectors and pump id imagine cause i got in 2001 and never did anything to them cept throw some cleaner in the tank every oil change. The car has the hardest time turning over if i just go for turning the key right to start. But if i just turn it to on and wait like 3 seconds for the pump to prime then it turns over like a brand new engine when I stick it into start. My buddy has a 95 also and his turns right over and he doesnt have to do what I do.

Have you tried holding the key down until it starts? The 4.0 engine is nutorious for taking awhile to start, mine takes 6-7 seconds of solid cranking. Most people I know that don't own/drive Jeeps think it's werd but it's normal.

Had a 97 TJ..same issue. It happened after i changed out my (in tank) fuel filter.Im not sure if I knocked something loose, mabye it didnt seal up that good, but it was definitly in conjunction with my dropping the tank.
Which happened at a rest area in TENN during a road trip unfortunatly.It was bogging out and i could go no further, but that is a different story....
I think its prolly a fuel pump/filter issue.

Back