• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need motor work 90 4.0

XJRob2

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a lot of trouble getting heat in my 90 Laredo. I just noticed that there is water getting in the oil. I was hoping I could get some direction to go from here. I must have over-heated it too many times while trying to burp the system.
I live in the Dunn Benson area near I-95 and I-40.
I don't know what to expect as far as price and such. My regular mechanic said he couldn't do it.

Thanx for any help,
Rob

You prob. didn't crack the block but prob. did blow the head gasket. When you replace it, either buy a thermostat with the hole in it or drill one yourself so the system will burp.
OEM stat is 195*, it will start to open at 195* but not be fully open 'til about 210*, be careful about letting it overheat.

Thanx for the reply's. Yeah, I think it is safe to say the head gasket is blown. I am glad I caught it when I did, as there isn't but a small trace of water in the crankcase. I got an estimate of $300.00 to do the work, to save me the headache. That sounds fair to me
Thanx again,
Rob

Dang! $300! Do it yourself, you may need a person to help you pull the head off and then put it back on but its really not that big of a job.

Actually I thought $300 wasn't too bad! It is a bitch to do it. I did one side of a Chevy 350 and it took 2 days. The going rate for that job I want to say is in the $600 range.

For $300.00 he is going to remove, clean, and surface the head. This also includes oil and filter change anti freeze, spark plugs, and he is going to pull a vacuum on the cooling system, and this is supposed to make dern sure there is no air in the system. I think this is a fair price by all means. I could get the gasket slapped-on for cheaper, but I want it done right so that i can get this project going.

Back