• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo problem

cnidy1230

NAXJA Forum User
I do not know if any one has ever had this problem before and I am not sure where to start on fixing it. It only happens in winter when its real cold. my speedometer will not work until the cab warms up some. it will work fine until it gets really cold. so any help let me know.

Got another question to go along with this one-- I know there is a TSB regarding the speedo cable on 87-90 XJ's. My speedometer "wobbles" up to around 40 mph, then it starts holding steady. The counter guys at Napa can't find a part # for the replacement cable. Should I use a universal cable? Do I need to go to the dealer to get the cable and the black sheath around the cable?

I have this same problem... in cold weather around 55 the needle goes smooth... lower or higher it wobbles... I took the cluster off to check some stuff and ended up putting a tiny crook in the cable right behind the cluster... I havnt done it yet but I would go to a scrap yard and get a cable from a junker... just pull the cluster and then pull the cable out dont fret about the housing. grease the replacement and put it in

My year is a 92 xj. the speedometer moves smooth just when its could it dont move until heat is on for a while and it warms up. kinda annoying problem, plus i have no ideahow acurate the speedo is now.

92's have the electronic spedo. Back of the t-case is where the wires plug in. Check the wire connection first. If that doesn't work.... you have to replace the sender. The little plastic gears in it wear out... I am on my third. I drive to the stealership, grab my crescent wrench and roll under the jeep. Unplug the sender, remove sender, go to parts counter, replace sender....go home with a working speedometer.

to answer the earlier question, you can get a replacement speedo cable for up to '90XJs at autozone. i dont know why everybody likes napa so much, i have not once gotten a part i needed there. make sure you lube it well before you install it.

if you dont have cruise control, then: the correct part has a large (1"ish) screw on one end to attach to the t-case, and on the other end is a plastic clip to clip onto the dash.

before installing, pull the little metal cable out of the sleeve, and lube it a lot as you feed it back in. mine came with a tube of lube.

-Tim

Back