• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers defined please?

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
:confused: Alright, I searched on this one, maybe just not in the right spot. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great, and specific answers would be even better.

I'm just starting to look into lockers for my axles, or at least the rear on my 98. I've got the Chryco 8.25. My question is, what are the differences between all the terms I hear thrown around: lunchbox locker, no-slip, limited-slip, posi, selectable locker, etc? What are the pros and cons to each? I haven't really found a straight answer anywhere. Thanks in advance for the education.....

a couple quick notes:
a locker is a device that (whether selectable or not) acts to stop the axles from spinning at different speeds, and thus giving you power to your wheels even if the other end is in the air.

normally if one wheel goes up, it will spin while the other remains stationary. this is because the differential is allowing for slip
look up "differential" on howstuffworks.com if you don't know what it is.

a locker acts to stop this occurance.
selectable lockers allow the wheels to spin as freely as they would if they were open, but when either an electric, pneumatic, or air compressed (ARB) clutch is engaged, the locker, in effect, locks the two axle shafts together.
These are the most desirable, as they have the best "hold" or "lock" while giving also the best road manners (seeing as you can let them spin freely and engage when desired)

A lunchbox locker encompasses the non selectable lockers- which replace factory spider gears in your differential, and have springs that allow for some slip (like when cornering a turn) but lock on rough terrain to get more traction.

a limited slip allows for the slip of the locker so that it can make turns easy, but in effect, on high stress points like when a tire is in the air, they can slip and be in effective.

a no slip is similar to a limited slip, and they still allow for curve handling with out much resistance, however they are more restrictive to when the wheel will slip, and thus are less prone to free spin when a wheel is in the air.

as you can see the order from most enticing to least is
selectable
no slip
limited slip

likewise the pricing list is the same.
selectables ranging from the 500's to the 1000's of dollars, the no slips between 300-500, and the limiteds about 250-300

of course the prices are just estimates there are others that may be out of those ranges..

hope that helps

Back