• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Axle Shafts Hard to Turn

wyrdvans

NAXJA Forum User
I've been building up a D44 with crown vic disc brakes and an Aussie Locker. When I start tightening the retainer plate on the axle shaft, the axle gets so tight that it is almost impossible to turn. Is this normal or is something not installed properly?

You need a custom spacer on the shaft to make up for the difference in the backing plates.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/BAzjRearDiscsOnXJ/ZJrearDiscsOnXJ.htm

ZJrearDiscsOnXJ37.jpg

I have the same setup as the writeup on here http://www.jeepin.com/features/cvdiscs/index.asp
The spacer is built into the retainer plate from a jeep wrangler. When I tighten it down, I have to put a lot of effort into turning the axle shaft. Is this normal?

If I were to tighten down both axle shafts, I would not be able to manually turn the pinion or either of the shafts, in fact I probably wouldn't be able to get both of the axle shafts tightened all the way because I wouldn't be able to turn the axles to get to the nut that needs to be tightened.

Are you using the Crown Vic parking brake assemblies or did you remove the parking brake backing plate/dust shields? If so, the missing thickness from the backing plates not being between the retainer plate and and caliper bracket could be putting too much preload on the bearings. Try shimming the retainer plate (washers or sheetmetal strips between the retainer plate and caliper bracket might work) to reduce the preload on the bearings-------Hans

Another thought just occured to me. Are you sure the Aussie is assembled correctly and not preventing the shafts from sliding in completely? Did you get the left and right hand shafts switched as, they're slightly different in length? Just throwing out ideas and not questioning your mechanical abilities-----Hans

The problem with shimming is when do I know I have enough preload on the bearings?

I'm pretty sure I installed the locker correctly but it would probably be a good idea to check.

As for the axle size, I thought the shafts were the same size for a rear D44.

wyrdvans said:
As for the axle size, I thought the shafts were the same size for a rear D44.
Stand them up side by side, one's a little longer (or shorter, lol) than the other and that could be the problem. Let us know what you find out.---------Hans

If the problem is with the retainer plate spacer not being there, you could use a Rubicon D44 retainer plate that already has the correct spacer built into it and costs only a couple bucks. The only downside to this is that the holes on the retainer plate don't match up correctly to the older D44 axle end flanges. I just welded the old ones up and drilled the new ones to match the Rubicon retainer, which in my case also matched up the the ZJ rear disc backing plates. Goodluck!

Oatmeal said:
Stand them up side by side, one's a little longer (or shorter, lol) than the other and that could be the problem. Let us know what you find out.---------Hans

I feel like an idiot...a quick swap of the axle shafts and everything works great. Thanks for the clarification. Funny how that in all the writeups I read on D44 axles, that none ever mentioned anything about the axle shafts being different sizes. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again.

91 Jeep Project said:

Clarifying which Jeep Wrangler the retainer plate was actually from. As I'm sure you're aware, not all Wranglers came with rear disc brakes...as such the drum brake retainer is most likely not the same as the disc brake retainer. As all Rubicons were disc brakes in the rear, well that just made it easier to make sure you get the correct retainer.

Thanks...

wyrdvans said:
I feel like an idiot...a quick swap of the axle shafts and everything works great. Thanks for the clarification. Funny how that in all the writeups I read on D44 axles, that none ever mentioned anything about the axle shafts being different sizes. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again.
Glad you got it worked out. I'm doing an Explorer disc swap onto my D44 and it's been alot of work so far but, it's almost done--------Hans

wyrdvans said:
If you had a scout 44 they would be the same. It is what I am running and they are identical.

jshwank said:
Clarifying which Jeep Wrangler the retainer plate was actually from. As I'm sure you're aware, not all Wranglers came with rear disc brakes...as such the drum brake retainer is most likely not the same as the disc brake retainer. As all Rubicons were disc brakes in the rear, well that just made it easier to make sure you get the correct retainer.

Thanks...

wyrdvans said:
I have the same setup as the writeup on here http://www.jeepin.com/features/cvdiscs/index.asp
The spacer is built into the retainer plate from a jeep wrangler.

Jeepin'.com said:
Retainer Plates 5083678AA Dealership ~$3.00 2 $6.00 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2003+

Thanks...

Glad you figured out the axles were swapped! I'll bet that was a DOH! moment.

As for shimming to get the right preload, it's not necessary. The bearing has two pieces that just need pressed firmly together. Not like typical tapered bearings. Once the two halves are pressed together, the preload is determined by the tolerances of the bearing. The spacer doesn't have to be precise, just thick enough to take up the extra thickness of the backing plate. The retainer plate deforms a bit when you tighten everything down, which is the reason for replacing the retainer when you do the bearing.

Back