• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Vibration

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
When I step on the brake hard, I sort of notice a vibration in the pedal. When traveling slow with light brake pressure, the vehicle sort of "pulsates" to a stop......Like it will slow down, continue same speed, slow down....

Is this a sign of warped rotors?

Had a recall done in June for new Chrysler rotors on my 95 XJ....after that I changed Pads and adjusted my rear brakes.....also had the system bled due to a caliper issue (Had to pull the piston out, it got wedged and an angle when I was trying to depress it for new pads on the drivers side front)

Any ideas? I know Chrysler rotors are prone to warping, but that's what the recall was all about......and it was from a recall from 1998, so I'd think it would even be more revised now in 2006 when the recall was performed.

By the way, it isn't really a problem or "comfort-issue" for me.....I was just curious, really.

Thanks!

I think it sounds like warped rotors. The stock rotors bring the suck. I just had mine turned over the summer but I'd like to go aftermarket.

What's the worse that warped rotors can do? Should I contact Jeep, will they replace them again as their recalled rotors don't actually fix the warping?

Thanks.

Don't know if they'll fix it but I wouldn't count on it. You usually feel warped rotors in the pedal like you described and the rotational feeling you get through the pedal will slow as the vehicle speed slows.

I find them to be a big PITA more so b/c I'm incredibly anal about things like that. I'm sure it doesn't help with braking performance or pad wear but the feeling I get through the pedal is far worse for me. I'll see what happens to mine this summer after going up and down the Passes out here and if they warp again I'll get some good cross drilled rotors to aid in coolling and help them from warping.

You mention that you changed the pads after the dealer did the rotors .. did you use a torque wrench to put the lugnuts back on? They need to be torqued close to spec, and more importantly, equally around the wheel. If that doesn't happen, that could cause the rotors to warp, too. IIRC the range is about 95 to 115, though someone with a FSM handy could correct me.

I've never used a torque wrench when tightening lug nuts. I probably should as I use one on many of the repairs I do. I agree with you that's it's entirely possible that loose lugs could have been the cause but I don't think it's all that likely. The stock rotors suck a$$. Period.

I don't have a torque wrench with me, but my uncle has one. In the summer, after I did the brake work, I went over to his place and tested the lugs with the torque wrench. My own tighening was at or over the torque, as I couldn't tighten them anymore without it clicking. I had it set on 110.

So when I got new tires, I tightened it up the same.....and then checked about 2 weeks later. Everything is tight.

Like I said it's not a serious problem or discomfort, just something I was curious about.

BTW dealer wanted around $120 for front pads, while it cost me around $35.00....heh.

The recall had nothing to do with warped rotors. They were recalled because the composite rotors could possibly shear off due to excessive corrosion in states that use salt on the roads in winter.
If they were only fitted in July, I reckon you could have a case for a warranty replacement on the new parts so long as you have only done a low mileage and they were fitted by a dealer.

Back