• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok I have TWO problems.....

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
I wil start off with the brakes first....I replaced my brake pads today and now when I push on the brakes while im driving the car pulls to the right...And, there is a little wobble while im driving too....Are my rotors warped?? If they are, why didnt I have any of these signs before I replaced the pads??

Second, I have an idle problem...When im driving on the freeway or anywhere in access of probably 50 MPH and come to a stop, my car is idling extremely high...If I rev it while im stopped it goes back down to normal...What would cause this??? Thanks in advance

Mike

Rotors could be warped, but first I would ensure the brakes are completely bled. Start with the right rear, then left rear, then right front, finally left front. If you changed the rear, ensure you have the pads on correctly. The smaller pad is the lead shoe.

As for the idle problem you should make sure you have no vaccum leaks and then take the IAC out of the throttle body and clean it well. After cleaning the IAC replace it and while the Jeep is running slowly pour a bottle of Seafoam into the throttle body. Following this you should check the condition of your spark plugs and replace if necessary.

I only did the front brakes so should I rebleed the fronts only??

I ran a bottle of seafoam through the brake booster and didnt notice any vaccum leaks...Should I run another bottle through the throttle body still??? I have already replaced all my plugs, wires, cap , and rotor a few weeks ago...I also just put a bottle of BG 44K in the tank and have noticed the idle being a lot smoother already.....

If the front brakes, rears too, were badly worn the pistons tend to sit pretty far out of their bores. Over time the pistons themselves can get corroded and dirty then you come along and push them back in where they can jam or sitck when they are applied OR not release when you take your foot of the brake pedal, they don't really retract, just release pressure.. The rear wheel cylinders and do the same thing, especially if the rubber boots let stuff in there over time, one of the reasons I ALWAYS replace the boots on the rear cylinders when I do the shoes.. If the calipers have a few years on them and have been thru a few pads it might be worth it to just go get another set of calipers. In my opinion it's not worth trying to 'fix' them. I think the last set of calipers I got for one of our TJ's were in the ballpark of $20 ea... I just remember buying 2 STEEL rotors and two calipers and a set of pads, it came to $90 or $100 or thereabouts. I don't generally turn rotors, I just replace them. Then I don't have to deal with downtime of running to the machine shop and back twice. I also use speed bleeders.

anyone know what the idle problem could be?? and if I should run a bottle of seafoam through the throttle body since I already did one through the brake booster???

Is there a "certain" way I should go about looking for a vaccum leak or should I just check each line one at a time??

Ok the brake issue seems to have gone away...But, the idle issue is getting worse it seems....I checked all my sensors and they seem to be fine, they are all fairly new....I cant find any vaccum leaks...I ran a bottle of seafoam through the throttle body and I noticed smoke coming out of the exhaust manifold gasket....I am leaning towards that being the problem....What do you guys think???

that sounds like a good place to start. You already know there is a defect there. Replace the gasket and while your at it you may want to look into a replacement exhaust manifold/header (they are known to crack frequently). This would also be a good time to take the intake manifold and have it cleaned well in an acid bath. While putting it back together replace the o-rings for the fuel rail/injectors.

If all that does not fix it, at least you have eliminated alot of potential causes and it narrows your search.

Good Luck!

where can I go to get it acid cleaned??

Back