• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing brake drum hardware and pads. Any special tools/instructions?

woodyjeep

NAXJA Forum User
This will be my first time replacing my drum hardware and pads because I simply hate drums and working on them. Are there any special tools I'll need or instructions?

woodyjeep said:
This will be my first time replacing my drum hardware and pads because I simply hate drums and working on them. Are there any special tools I'll need or instructions?

I always jack up both sides and do one at a time, using the other side as an example.

You shouldn't need any special tools.

Have fun...i hate drums too.

Check the backing plate where the shoes make contact with it. Sometimes a ridge will be worn into them that can hang up a shoe. If not too bad,it can be filed down. I just had this happen on my Camaro.

It really pays to get the correct tool to remove and install the hold-down springs. It will save a lot of time, effort and bad language.

I've always found brake spring pliers clumsy, and prefer the large size needlenose vise-grips. They're strong enough to latch onto a spring loop and pull it without getting in the way. You can grab the long upper springs by the long straight section and just drop the loops into their holes.

well I found one leaking wheel cylinder so I'm replacing both. Also, I never found the U-Clip that the FSM lists. Is it possible to work without it? And for the parkign brake, it is attached to this big plate that just hangs there now, am I supposed to get that off the parking brake line? I hate drum brakes, I just purchased a car last december and one of my requirements was no drum brakes :(

this is one that chilton or haynes is good for. I use an old screwdriver for the tension springs. I believe the "C" clip is on the rear pad for the parking brake, bend it straight pull it out ,pull the pin. Hardware? Are you replacing all springs? Did it come with new plug for the backing plate to keep water out?

Harlee&Tahoe said:
this is one that chilton or haynes is good for. I use an old screwdriver for the tension springs. I believe the "C" clip is on the rear pad for the parking brake, bend it straight pull it out ,pull the pin. Hardware? Are you replacing all springs? Did it come with new plug for the backing plate to keep water out?

it talks of some pivot pin? And it seems like it is on the upper part of the rear shoe (secondary). Where is this pin?! There is only a pin on the bottom portion of the shoe. I'm lost! I haven't touched the other drum but that doesn't even help with this STUPID DAMN PIVOT PIN!!!! :explosion

ok, after much frustration I have figured it out. There is no pivot pin. I guess since I have the ABS 91' cherokee the parking brake bracket has no pin. It has a bent edge that hooks into the shoe. So you have to magically hold that in (cause if it falls out you have to redo it), hold the pad, push down the retainer spring, turn the pin to lock the spring down all with 2 hands. Impossible I say, so my girlfriend help the pad and turned the pin while I maneuvered the spring. From there it wasn't so bad, I had to redo it once I got to the end cause the hanes manual never said to put in the star wheel thing (it only showed a pic with it in and some other stuff being done).

So the washer and U-clip don't apply to me.

Back