• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Gasket

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
How Common is it for a 4.0 inline 6 to blow a headgasket? I tried to take some pics of the head gasket after i removed it but they were crappy pictures... there is a spot that i call blown but i've never really looked at a BLOWN head gasket.

LOOKS LIKE FUN DONT IT!
S5300299.jpg

Is there oil pressure on that area?
blownGasket.jpg

I can't really see anything in the picture,but the area that you have marked wouldn't have any combustion pressure,did it leak oil?:patriot:

yeah... a lot... from that area from between the gasket and the head... it was directly above the oil filter adapter and the oil psi sender... I feel sure that it was just blownI there is about a 1 inch wide void in the paper part of the gasket and only metal left. So i'm assuming thats what it look like when its blown... Hell i dont know Im just gunna replace all tha gaskets and if it still leaks im gunna replace some more shit!!! lol the only other thing it could be is the oil filter adapter! i replaced the head gasket! and the valve cover gasket

it just started leaking one day when i was driving down the road... it wasnt spraying out or anything... it was just runningn down the side of the motor and as i was driving downt he road it was getting all over the exaust and the rear end... It lost about a quart...

Loads of fun - I've done it a couple times.

There's no real pressure in that area, unless your crankcase ventilation is blocked (then it will be "air pressure," not "oil pressure.")

That area is the drainback for the oil that gets pumped up to the cylinder head.

No particular reason for that area to fail - which is why it's so annoying...

5-90

lowrange2 said:
it just started leaking one day when i was driving down the road... it wasnt spraying out or anything... it was just runningn down the side of the motor and as i was driving downt he road it was getting all over the exaust and the rear end... It lost about a quart...

Reading this, I would have guessed the oil adapter o-rings. I had the same problem and got real bad after an oil change. Thought maybe the valve cover gasket...etc.... but changed the O-rings and no more leak...

Good luck!

Back