• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I get bad shocks ??????

LA4RUNNER

NAXJA Forum User
I got 4 PROC shocks today. When I opened the boxes I noticed that there was no strap holding down shafts. So I extended the shocks and compressed them by hand almost like a steering Damper.This was not just one but all four. Is this a diffrent kind of shock? Do you think it will be ok for a DD.I know I am not a pro at this stuff but I never saw a shock like this.

My shocks could do that when I got them. I don't remember any straps holding them down in either of the 5 shocks I have gotten recently (4 for the lift, then one to replace the broken one I got)

LA4RUNNER said:
I got 4 PROC shocks today. When I opened the boxes I noticed that there was no strap holding down shafts. So I extended the shocks and compressed them by hand almost like a steering Damper.This was not just one but all four. Is this a diffrent kind of shock? Do you think it will be ok for a DD.I know I am not a pro at this stuff but I never saw a shock like this.

Thats how offroad shocks work.

That is how hydro shocks work. Nitro/gas charged shocks are the ones that expand, which is why they ride better and cost more.

GottaBeJeep is correct... you have twin tube shocks which do act as just dampners. Monotube shocks (RE Monotubes, Bilstein's,Fox) are gas/oil charged and are always extended until compressed by force and extend back.

LA4RUNNER said:
Thanks for the replies. I never had twin tube shocks before. They are ok for the road ????

Durh yeah

LA4RUNNER said:
Thanks for the replies. I never had twin tube shocks before. They are ok for the road ????

They are some of the roughest riding ones out there. If you got a house brand they're likely similar to a Pro Comp 3000 or Rancho 5000. Too bad whoever sold you the setup didn't talk you into a better shock. They're just kinda something to package with a kit. Meh...

Are procomp shocks crap?my xj rides like an applecart on bumpy surfaces with them,maybe just the procomp springs

you get what you pay for with most things but shocks definatly since i am not really into comfort with my jeep my rustys cheap twin tube work fine i guess but my friend has bilstiens and my other buddies rover has some fox remote resovior and man it is very smooth and supple mine feel like doodoo but i guess you get used to it it is a jeep of course...

uncc civilengineer said:
you have twin tube shocks which do act as just dampners. Monotube shocks (RE Monotubes, Bilstein's,Fox) are gas/oil charged and are always extended until compressed by force and extend back.
Last I checked all shocks were "just dampers", they just have different damping rates which is why some move more easily than others.

I just installed Rancho 5000's all around, on a Rusty's 3" AAL. The ride is really rough, and the improvement on washboard seems minimal over those supplied by Rusty's years ago. Yes, they are properly installed. I just expected them to be more responsive. IMHO, they are really only good at low speed.

Back