• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

-2 degrees outside and it won't keep running

OUG

NAXJA Forum User
This morning I went out in the subzero weather and my Jeep wouldn't start. I've got a 98 xj sport. 99k miles. I would sit there turning the key and it wanted to run but wouldn't start. After a couple of tries I slowly depressed the gas peddle and it rev'd up just fine. I could keep it running at 3k just fine. When i let off the gas it would drop below 1k and die. I never got an error code. the searches I came up with were all code based. I'm going to get some new plug wires tonight and see what I can come up with. I need to fix this today so any input would be great. The last bit of info i have is that when my wife tried to start the jeep 2 hours after i took her car it started right up. She left it running for 10 minutes and then turned it off. She went back out 5 minutes later and it did the same thing that it did to me at 7 this morning.

Please help
OUG

Sounds like your IAC is sticking. The grease they use to lube the IAC (piston rod) and the normal gunk that collects on the piston gets thick and sticky. Try spraying some penetrating oil (or most any spray oil) into the IAC orifice (inside the TB throat) with the motor running. At near idle the IAC will suck the oil into the opening. A couple of squirts, into the opening with the motor off, may help some to get you started and the motor to idle. You may have to repeat a couple of times.
If you have one of those plastic tube spout extensions for your spray oil, be carefull the end tube doesn't fall down the TB. :doh:

I got a brand new battery 3 weeks ago so I know that is good. I tried spraying some carb cleaner around the butterfly valve while it was off and pushed it open and sprayed some more to make sure that the valve wasn't restricted. the guy at parts store told me to put a can of seafoam in the tank and run that through it to get any moisture that may be in there out. I'll try to pour some down the tb and put the rest in the tank.

Ok this morning the jeep sputtered a little bit but ran just fine. I dumped a bottle of seafoam in it last night. I hope it was just the first good freeze that caused me trouble. Thanks for the input guys.

OUG

Back