• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part number location on 85 2.5l Carter YFA Carb

CherokeeDude

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I am new to the forum, & I have been reading this forum for a while now, & it seems very informative. Anyway, on to my question, I am going to replace my carb on my 1985 2.5l Cherokee, & it seems to be that there is about three different kinds of the Carter YFA carb that AMC used for the 84-85 models. Does anybody know where on the carb I can find a part number so I can get the right carb?

Here is the specs:

1985 Jeep Cherokee
2.5l 4 cyl
T4 4 spd
NP207

Thanks!

I have the a 1985 2.5, 5 sp. I have never heard of there being three different models of the YFA for XJs sold in the U.S. although I take it they had a non-feedback model for units sold outside the U.S. where emissions controls were not required. Don't take this as gospel.

I replaced my original Carter years ago, and as I recall I just gave the parts house the usual vehicle info and they gave me the replacement carb which worked as intended. I rebuilt that unit once, and again, I don't recall any special part no. requirements. I believe there is supposed to be a tag on the carb that identifies certain individual characteristics -- perhaps this is what you are referring to.

I replaced the Carter with a Weber a year ago and still have the old carb. I will look at it and see if I can spot a number and post back.

The number on the Carter is on the base flange just above the hole for the mounting stud on the left (driver's) side . That is just to the left of the idle adjustment screws. My number is 7702S. I see that Autozone has a replacement carb that matches various OEM numbers in the 77XX series.

I hope this helps -- good luck.

Back