• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced Clutch MC, now what?!?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ w/the 4.0 and the AX-15 and I just replaced the clutch master cylinder as it was leaking into the firewall. The new one is in and works great until the other day the clutch pedal just dropped to the floor as if all the fluid went away at once. I open the cap on the CMC and it's empty, I add fluid, pump the clutch and the clutch action is better than it's been the whole time the new CMC's been in but it keeps draining out the fluid and there's no signs of leakage anywhere. Also for the longest time I've noticed a burning smell after driving or when shifting at low speeds...

So what's my problem here? Clutch going or slave cylinder shot?

Thanks

Did you bleed the system? You may have a small hole in the clutch line by the manifold or header, or you left the bleeder cracked. Might check for fluid around the fuse box in case you got a defective MC. Also check the firewall inside the engine bay in case you didn't get the clutch line seated properly because you can install the roll pin & it will seem fine but it didn't seat the seal correctly. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Good luck

Rob

Well the only fluid is what's left over on the inside of the fire wall is from the old clutch MC. I didn't bleed the system out but had a helluva time getting the steel line back in.

Zoro said:
Well the only fluid is what's left over on the inside of the fire wall is from the old clutch MC. I didn't bleed the system out but had a helluva time getting the steel line back in.

There in lies your problem.

It, like brakes, need to have the air bled out of it to work properly.

I hope it's not your slave, beacuse if it is, I would seriously look at just doing an entire clutch change at that point.

Red

Zoro said:

You definitely want to bleed the system. When ever you replace anything that holds fluid, always clean & dry the area exceptionally well, to remove all doubts if moisture is from previous condition, or present condition :lecture: Bleed the system, clean every aspect of the system, refill & pump pump pump. then get a flash light & look everywhere for leaks. Take your time, as you may not find your leak right away if there is one. Look at every connection, then trace down the entire clutch line to ensure there is no seepage

Good luck

Rob

Zoro said:
SO where's the bleeder for the clutch system in my case?

follow your clutch line down to the side of the transmission (drivers) you'll see it where it goes intot he bellhousing, and you'll see a zerk fitting ( like on a caliper ) you bleed it from there.

Re: FELIX Replaced Clutch MC, now what?!?

Felix,

read your post. If you could help me on this greatly appreciate it. Roll pin and mc. I installed a new MC 1991 Cherokee Laredo. Could not get roll pin out had to drill top of old MC. Replaced MC, worked fine for a day and now Im shooting fluid from the connection. two questions.

1. How do I get the roll pin out again and tricks?

2. How can I ensure on reinstallation the line is seated correctly.

Thanks please help beyond madness.

jeepmadness said:
Felix,

read your post. If you could help me on this greatly appreciate it. Roll pin and mc. I installed a new MC 1991 Cherokee Laredo. Could not get roll pin out had to drill top of old MC.

:eek: Umm Drilling was a bad idea. You can use a punch or a nail driver (used for punching out nails from the point side) Hopefully you did not enlarge the hole. If there is slop in the roll pin hole you may need a larger roll pin, because it's not holding the o-ring seal good enough

Replaced MC, worked fine for a day and now Im shooting fluid from the connection. two questions.

1. How do I get the roll pin out again and tricks?

A: You need to pull the CMC off the firewall to get good access to the roll pin. If you have 2 people, one can push the line in relieving tension on the roll pin, while the other drives it out. If not, 1 person can do it, it's just a little more fun :spin1:

2. How can I ensure on reinstallation the line is seated correctly.

A:Make sure the o-ring is on the clutch line where it enters the CMC. When you drive the new roll pin in put pressure on the line so that it is held firmly in the CMC. Then fill & pump pump pump. If it leaks, you should see it on the firewall & under the frame as it runs down. If leaks exist, check for slop in the roll pin due to drilling out previous pin :doh: You should also bleed the system again, as fluid leaks out air leaks in.

Thanks please help beyond madness.

Good luck
Rob

Thanks, I only drilled on the old MC. The new one is intact. Just getting out the roll pin on the new MC is the problem. I was concerned about removal from firewall because the line is not rigid. I try what you suggested. The design is terrible, thanks for you help.

jeepmadness said:
Thanks, I only drilled on the old MC. The new one is intact. Just getting out the roll pin on the new MC is the problem. I was concerned about removal from firewall because the line is not rigid. I try what you suggested. The design is terrible, thanks for you help.

Yeah, but the section of the line where the roll pin interfaces, may have been altered by the drill. Hopefully not. You may also want to trace out the clutch line & pull it in & away from the manifold/header. Mine was a little close & ended up fatiguing the line & it burst. When I changed out the line I routed it a little different.
Hope you get it solved.
Rob

I had a simular problem with my 91'. It got so bad when I was driving someone told me that my engine was on fire! Idiot, what was happening is that the slave was leaking onto my exhaust pipe. I changed out the entire clutch and I havn't had a problem since.

idahoduk said:
I had a simular problem with my 91'. It got so bad when I was driving someone told me that my engine was on fire! Idiot, what was happening is that the slave was leaking onto my exhaust pipe. I changed out the entire clutch and I havn't had a problem since.
Yep, that's always a possibility not one I like to think of :shiver:. that's why you need to fill the system pump pump pump & then start the search party of where the source of the leak is. Check the CMC to see if you lost any fluid or not, refill & pump pump pump & search again.

Rob

Back