• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Transfer case ? Won't come out of 4Hi very easy.

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
This is on my son's '87 XJ Wagoneer. I believe it has the NP 231 (only has 4Hi and 4Lo... no Full-Time)...

OK, the question is this. The transfer case engages ok, but when you push the lever down to move f/ 4Hi to 2WD the transfer case doesn't want to come out of 4Hi. I've crawled under the jeep and had him pull the lever to shift the transfer case and it appears to be shifting (and clicking) in and out of gear, but when running it seems to stay in 4Hi for a while after taking it out. Not sure what the problem is.

I know his tranny mount needs to be replaced, but it's not terrible. Could that be a problem? Is there any type of sensor or vacuum line that could be to blame? I know the Indicator light in the dash stays on until the transfer case actually returns to 2WD.

Perhaps I need to just reset the shifter and such and just see if it could be ever-so-slightly out of spec and see if that's the problem.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated.

just wondering, have you tried backing up a little and then trying to shift again? i had that problem with mine and i backed up a bit and it came out. it was frustrating. i finally replaced with a rebuilt case but the backing up trick worked fine til then.

Well this happens when my son is driving and me not present... but I think he's doing what he's suppose to. I'll give that recommendation and see if it helps next time.

Any other suggestions?

IIRC, the light on the dash signals when the vacuum motor on the front axle has fully engaged the disconnect on the RH axle shaft, not when the transfer case itself is shifted between 2 and 4wd. I'd trace the vacuum lines for any leaks, especially around the vacuum motor on the axle, since it seems to get covered with oil when you remove the oil filter. Could be the rubber ends are swollen over time creating a small leak.

But there could be nothing wrong. My '87 takes a few seconds for the light to go out when shifting back into 2wd. If it doesn't go out on its own, I usually just let up off the gas to increase engine vacuum and that does the trick.

Back