• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

center cap and lug nut questions

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
I am ordering a set of cragar black rims in 15x8 flavor for my 92 xj. Do I need center caps or are they just for looks? is there a difference between 4wd rims and 2wd rims? when I put the rims in my cart,it didn't specify whether the rims were for a 2wd or 4wd,but the bolt pattern was right. I also need to know the lug nut thread size because I will need to order new lug nuts. thanks,Ben

bolt pattern is the same. I don't know why they would have a 2wd or 4wd option.
Center caps are just for looks. WIthout tem you'll see the cotter pin and nut for the stub shaft up front, and you'll see the end of the axleshaft in the back.
I suppose that center caps would keep a lot of road gunk off those, so it might be worth it so the nut didn't get rusted to the unit bearing.
lug nut thread is 1/2x20 I think.

I got some chrome center caps for mine so I could have some bling bling but if you just hit it with some black spray paint it looks fine

I no longer keep the center caps on with mine, once you brake a shaft it's nice to be able to brake loose that Axle nut with the wheel still on.. make the job of changing the shaft nice quick.

Pluse the center caps always got tore up by the lug wrench, there is not much room between the Center cap and the lugnuts with the 5 on 4.5 patern.

edit
almost forgot, if you dont run the center caps hit the Axle nut and center with some black spray paint, it will help keep the rust down and it will look better with the black rims, no big rusty center to look like shite.

I agree, I painted mine with a black rust paint and it looks good with no bling bling.

Back