• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Take your pick, which one to check...

mistertwister68

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, first of all I did a search and found several answers to this "won't stay running" deal but I just need to pin this down. Here is the situation. My jeep doesn't always want to stay running (or start), it idles low at times, and has been a gas pig lately. If I pin the throttle down to the floor it will start and stay running, but if I let off it will die (sometimes, sometimes it will stay running but idle low). The other day I went to start it and my radio went back to all the defaults (time read 12:00, and all my channels were reset) like my battery just died when I tried to start it. Well it started after cranking on it and holding the gas pedal to the floor. Then I had to drive it around and at all stop signs put it in nuetral and rev it up before I dropped it in gear to keep driving.. So my question is do I need a:

New Battery
TPS
IAC

Other??

I am thinking a new battery..

Thanks in advance!

2000 XJ

not trying to be a jerk but did you try cleaning the battery terminals ? also check the thermostat housing... I am not sure what that sensor is called but when I did the thermostat on mine I fogot to hook it back up and had the same problem... at least the hard to start and running rough, I did not get out of the parking lot before I noticed the problem so I don't know how it would have ran on the street.

Thanks for the reply.. Yeah I cleaned the terminals, and made sure they were tight. The only thing that leads me to believe I have a bad cell is that time my batt went dead (momentarily) and reset all my radio presets.

You can take your batterey to most parts store chains (Autozone, Napa, others) and tell them that you want your battery tested.

Other than that, I would say battery cables, voltage regualtor.

I had my ZJ running like ass due to a dead battery. Changed it out with the $60 napa special and it cleared up all my problems.

KarlVP said:
You can take your batterey to most parts store chains (Autozone, Napa, others) and tell them that you want your battery tested.

Other than that, I would say battery cables, voltage regualtor.

I had my ZJ running like ass due to a dead battery. Changed it out with the $60 napa special and it cleared up all my problems.

True, except if you have a gel cell or a "dry" cell battery (like an Optima, or an Odyssey) - the Bear ARBST tester that most parts houses use doesn't know how to handle those.

Effective yet simple test - if you have room, put the battery in the freezer for a half-hour. Remove it, and hook it up to try to start your truck. If it doesn't, replace it.

It's what we used to do in Northern IN when we wanted to see if the battery would last another winter...

5-90

Back