• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ v8 into MJ???

Hammerite_05

NAXJA Forum User
My Inline6 is almost dead. it is going to cost me around $750 to rebuild it. there is a ZJ for sale near me that was totaled but the engine is still good in it..,i think it has like 80,000 on it. she only wants $500 for it. would you guys atempt this?? will my aw4 work on this? will the electronics hook up?

no doubt, you could easily stroke a new 4.0 and get more power.
You say almost dead, that gives you time to find a new 4.0, rebuild it and then you can swap it in over a weekend.

Geez guys where is the spirit of adventure here! I say go for it. If you can get the Grand for $500 bucks or less how could you go wrong. You would be better off swapping EVERYTHING, harness all the electrical, engine and trans. I would even use the GC dash with a little trimming. I put a 00 XJ interior/ dash and all the fixins in a 88 MJ a few years ago looked pretty cool.

It's going to cost you a lot more to get that V8 working in your MJ than to build a new 4.0 or 4.7 .. at the end of which you will have to fight to pass smog, and still have a motor with nearly a hundred thousand miles on it.

Grab a 4.0 and rebuild it. Better engine for the trail, better engine for economy, and a lot easier on you.

Well I am going to second the v8 only b/c it would so sweet, and you know there r not many like it(if you put the v8 in). That would be really cool but prolly really hard. Good luck which ever way you go. JOE>

my dad has had two v8 grand cheros and i wouldn't ever have one myself. More problems, harder to work on and they always feel to have less power than the 4.0

i think it would be sweet too but i just dont know if i would have enough money. i will probly end up just rebuilding the 4.0

thanx for the help

me and a buddy put a 5.2 out of a 96zj in a 94yj. you will need the engine,tranny, computer and all wiring and ALL smog equiptment if you want to keep it street legal. also buy the fsm for the zj so you can identify all your wires.the list goes on and on it took about 6 months of us working in the garage a couple nights a week and weekends. my only thing is im still faster on the street with a 4.0 with upgrades but the fifth gear in the yj is nice for crusing at 65 @1700rpm. good luck

Back