• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

name the diffrence on these two dana axles

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
116_1696.jpg

never noticed this till recently

anyone??

VegasAnthony said:
116_1696.jpg

never noticed this till recently

anyone??

Of course, the yokes are different (the one on the right should be stronger than the one on the left, but I'd have to look at it some more, and that's assuming the same alloy & heat treat,) but the "disc" around the right-hand shaft is an afterthought, usually done to keep crap (mostly) out of the axle tube proper and to help protect the seal (which is a bear to change!)

I've seen those done in rigid plastic, semi-rigid plastic, and rubber or neoprene, but (very rarely, and usually done by an owner) in metal. It's also possible to do a "rubber dam" over the end of the tube (using something like sheet neoprene) for much the same result, except the weight is now not attached to the axle shaft, and therefore does not rotate. However, you'll want a small gap at the bottom to allow water to drain out, if you do something like that.

That disc should not fit snugly into the axle tube, for the same reason.

5-90

Slug 369 said:
I believe the one on the right should be an ABS axle, although the gear piece is missing. Thats my guess.

Nope the Gear is on the outer not the inner. The left looks like the standard D30 axle shaft. WTF is the right one out of?? It doesn't look like any D30 piece I've ever seen.

Look at the difference in shaft diameter!

The head of the yoke on the right shaft is a lot bigger in girth, and the flange that meets the axleshaft is much beefier. the one on the left looks stock, the shaft on the right looks aftermarket except for the seal?

These are both Dana 30 axleshafts. I recently ran into these myself. the U joints are different as already mention and of course they are beefier. The thing is they are different on the bearing end, I have yet to make them compatible with my brakes. the bearing hub is bigger on one than the other and causes brake problems (the rotors do not work on them.) I have swithed out bearing and mounting assemblies and It would work for a spare but it seems to partially crush a seal on the back of the bearing hub. I have seen them ABS and NON ABS. The little plastic ring "disc" on the shaft is on all the ones I've seen. the only way I found to switch to these beefier axles is to switch out complete knuckles and brakes.

Back