• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

missing coolant

foodog2

NAXJA Forum User
my 94 sport smells like burning coolant. I can't find the leak, but it seems like it is coming from the radiator. The wasterpump was new when I bought the car in august. I did notice the rad hose going into the thermostat housing was swolen and the hose was hard as a rock like there was limited flow or no flow. Could that cause coolant to blow out somewhere else?

by hard as a rock i assume you mean harder than just normal pressure. and yes this could easly cause another area to leak, a small leak may not have leaked at all at the normal 16psi but when a clog raises pressure in the system it could burst this leak. how much coolant are you loosing? i would get underneath the jeep and check the rad. at a time of pressure(either running or just after you shut it off) also if you really got some time, drain the coolant and pull off all those hoses and take a look for clogs.

Check the radiator and all hoses. Bring the Jeep up to temp, then shut it off. Feel the radiator core, the center should be the same temp as the tanks. If not, it will feel cool in the bottom and get warmer towards the top. Sure sign of a plugged radiator. I ALWAYS change hoses on anything I buy, I figure the 30-50 bucks is cheap insurance and will keep you running. My heep got a new radiator, and hoses when I bought it.

I put a gallon and a half in yesterday, and I put a gallon in after I changed the I changed the upper hose and the temp valve and all the hoses connected to it in september. The only old hose is the lower hose, but it is dry. Since I put the coolant in yesterday the resevior is empty now. I am not sure what normal pressure is, but the hose looked like a garden hose that was left on in the sun. the lower hose seems to be fine.

Back