• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Someone help my XJ broke! (pics)

sweetzo

NAXJA Forum User
Aright everyone this is my problem.I have a 96 xj country with the 4.0 4x4,i have had my xj for 2 years+ and it has not given me the first hint of problems.yesterday I was driving and all of a sudden my jeep cut off and i lost all power(brakes,stearing etc etc).I got pulled over and tried to restart it but it will not crank up,it turns over but no crank.At first i thought the darn fuel pump went out because i could not hear it running(I dont know if u can on a jeep or not).After i started looking at fuses under the dash and under the hood i found a blown one under the hood.Now my owners manul shows on a diagram that the fuse controls the fuel pump,oxyen sensor,the engine control moduol,and the field controls.The only thing dont match is the diagram is it says it should be a regular size 30 amp,but mine is a mini 20.the fuse keeps blowing when the xj is turned over.Can anyone help,i will get pics tonight of the fuse box to help out.Ihave also tried a 25 and 30 fuse and they all blow.

thanks in advance
gonzo

below is a link to a picture of the fuse box.If anyone can tell me what the fuse runs in the pic it would be greatly appreiated....(or how ever u spell that)

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y5...t=rsz_1S5030259.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Not sure as to exactly what that fuse powers, as it is different than my 00. Just out of curiosity, is the check engine light coming on at all when you turn the key to run? And is the fuse blowing when you turn the key to run, or only when you turn the key to start?

Whatever that fuse controls, it has a dead short to ground most likely, if it keeps popping them, even when going to a fuse that is 10 amps higher than what should be in there. Check to make sure that you don't have any wires that are open/chafing, especially the O2 sensors since they are in a more vulnerabe location.

Unplug the fuel pump and check it with an OHM meter, see if the ground goes away. If not, then unplug the O2 sensor, again, check it to see if it goes away. If neither of them make it go away, trace out the other wires one at a time and check them.

On my 96 the fuse is a 30A mini--
It powers the ASD (auto shutdown relay) >which it turn powers the coil/gen/PCM/O2 sensor/fuel injectors.
I bet the asd relay went bad.Pull one of the others and replace the asd relay .After replacing the mini fuse.
Wayne

well im not getting any check engine lights, but i everyone here has been a huge help.Ive had this posted on jeep forum for 2 days now and got zip.thank you and keep the help coming.im going to check out that relay.

Back