• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm problems

timk578

NAXJA Forum User
im having trouble getting my axle aligned back up on the front of my cherokee....im installing FT 6 inch long arm. everytime i set the lower control arms to where i think they should be my trackbar binds. if i attach the track bar first then i have to screw the hiem joints way out and it just doesnt seem right....the kit seems nice but the directions suck. i consider myself a semi experienced jeeper but i need some knowledge from experience .....help

I just finished this lift on my 99. I agree the instructions leave much to be desired. In my case I was able to support the front axel on jackstands while I connected the lower control arms. Then I used a bottle jack to rotate the axel to connect the upper control arms. With the help of a friend I was able to push on the fender of my jeep and lean the unibody back until the trackbar lined up with the bolt. Then he drove the bolt in with a rubber mallet. My axel sits close enough to center that I didnt have to adjust and do it again. Unfortionately due to my UCA adjustments I only have about 4.5 degrees of caster. SO FAR everything drives fine so I've been putting off adjusting anything else. Good luck.

Define...my track bar binds. Is it too short, too long, needs to rotate?

It is normal for it to not line up as far as length. Just hook up the long arms, have somebody get in and crank the steering wheel. The arm will move back and forth and allow you to line up the connection.

my trackbar binds front and back i dont have any problem with the length. will front and rear adj change when my axle is at full drop? i havent tried to hook it up when it is sitting at ride height.

Stupid question, but did you by chance put the track bar on upside down? It's designed to be angled more towards the rear, so unless you have it on upside down or your axle is too far forward or back ward, then it shouldn't bind. I'd suggest checking your measurements again. The full traction directions suck balls, so either call Steve at the tech department or go with other peoples advice. Pictures will definately help though.

somebody has to have the measurement for the lower control arms....im so sick of talking to full traction and having them tell me to just drive it to an alignment shop....i cant drive it very well with no front axle....if anyone has these measurements or can take five minutes to measure theres i would greatly appreciate it
Tim

Mine (if I remember right) were about 32" +/- 1/8". I don't have the current measurement and I don't know how much it would help you as I don't have the stock axle any longer. I measured from the center of the rod end to the center of the grease fitting at the frame bolt. Who did you talk to at full traction?

Another tip, if you have to screw the heim all the way out to get it to fit, the axle is not sitting under the frame in the right spot and no matter what you do to the lower arms, you'll never get it to work. Your best bet is to drop a plum bob to the axle from a known point on the frame and slide it over until its the same distance on the left and the right side. Also, put the track bar on at ride height or you'll never get the length right.

Back