• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk when turning 2000 XJ

Tready619

NAXJA Forum User
Just replaced the rotors and pads on my 2000 XJ Sport. Due to the adhesion of the rotor to the hub from rust, it took a lot of hammering and a little torching to get the fn rotor off. During all this banging, one of threads got nicked and created a slight bend on the tip. It is just enough to not be able to put a lug nut on there. So, I just put the four on there. Drove it around the neighborhood for a little bit. Now, when I make a turn, I hear this nice clunk sound. Can't tell which side. I didn't want to drive it anymore than I did already until I came here and asked. Could this missing lug nut be the source of this clunk? Or is there something else I might have screwed up?

Lots o Thanks

Tim

go to autozone, buy a new stud and a rent a puller if you need one and replace the stud you messed up

that should only cost you a few bucks, tool rentals are free once you return the tool

although, it seems to me a lot of teems when you get a clunk when turning it b/c one or both of your axle u-joints are going out

Just wondering... why would the u-joint go bad during a rotors/pads change? There was no clunk or anything before I changed them? Thanks for all the help...

Dude you should be concerned with what caused your brakes to rust to point that you had to bang and torch them off. Whatever caused that could be causing a host of problems including but not limited to u-joints, wheelbearings, ball joints, steering componets.

:wow: Did it sit in a swamp for a couple of weeks??

Tready619 said:
Just replaced the rotors and pads on my 2000 XJ Sport. Due to the adhesion of the rotor to the hub from rust, it took a lot of hammering and a little torching to get the fn rotor off.

Got it fixed, went to advance and bought a stud and put that sucker in there and put everything back on. Everything's fine now. As for the sitting in a swamp comment, I did a lot of researching on here about how to get stuck rotors off and there seem to be a lot of people with that problem. Sounded normal. Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be back if something else goes wrong.

Tim

Back