• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 axle breakage

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I broke the cv joint on my 1985 XJ. It is the disco type. I pulled the chuncks of metal and the bearings out of the boot and I'm getting this clanging grinding noise. It is at my apartment but I need to get it about 12 miles away to a shop.
Can I drive it this way or do I need to have it towed.
It also is leaking gear oil out of the end of the axle tube. I had to drive it about 5 miles to my house from the trail I was on when it busted.:hang: HELP!

You are going to have to pull the tire off, pull the brake off, and pull the whole unit bearing off (3 bolts on back of knuckle) pull all the wasted parts out of there should be long and short side shafts, if the CV joint has seperated.

In order to drive it to the mechanic, stuff a rag in the axle tube and re assemble the hub/wheel/brakes and such with the short side shaft still in the unit bearing, if you don't it will come apart and your wheel will fall off.

Hope this helps.

KarlVP pretty much covered it. There is a 36mm nut on the end of the axle shaft, that nut has to be on and at about 160-175 foot pounds to set the proper preload on the bearing. Without that nut there, you won't make it the 5 miles to the shop.

-C

Cool thanks guys I think Im 99% sure what needs to be done. I have to take out the long shaft? Any pics to help guide me.

if the shaft is broke at the joint, you don't have to remove the 36mm nut. All you have to do is remove the hub from the knuckle (13mm/12 point), and pull out the broken piece of shaft. Just leave the part that is held in with the nut together.

Make sure to shove a rag in the axle tube.

Back