• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine belt tensioning?

Grab the longest open stretch of belt, and try to turn it 90* about the centre. You should JUST be able to turn it the full 90*.

It's not as accurate as a belt tension gage, and the tension you'll get varies according to wrist and forearm strength, but it's workable, and I've been doing it that way for years.

5-90

i use my finger and press on it to the left of the PS pulley. ~1" downward movement with a index finger for me.

DaddyJeep said:
Tension is within tolerances so why would it squeal when the A/C is kicked on? Also, PS kinda drags at the same time. Time to replace?

Try some belt dressing. It could just be some glazing on the belt causing some slippage. The belt dressing usually clears that up. Of course take a look at the belt first for damage like cracks, tears, etc.

DaddyJeep said:
Tension is within tolerances so why would it squeal when the A/C is kicked on? Also, PS kinda drags at the same time. Time to replace?
Tighten the belt up more. Unless there's cracks or obvious glazing, there's no reason to replace it. Belt dressing is pretty bad for the belt.

You can get a Krikit II tool from NAPA.

After I rolled on the 'Con last week, we were fixing the PS pulley so that I could finish driving the trail. There were a couple of mechanics from the next camp who were watching. They said that they adjust the serp belt "by feel" and have done so for 20 years.

As one of my buddies was tightening the adjuster, these two guys said "That's good". We checked it with the Krikit and it was waaay off. The serp belt on an XJ has to be pretty darn tight.

Pretty close may be good enough. But why not make sure? It's like someone NOT using a torque wrench.

Have a mechanic customer and we got into a discussion, I stuck by my krikit and he stuck by his 'feel' method, we checked it with the gauge, he just happened to have 3 jeeps in, two XJ's and a 4.0WJ, his 'by feel' was between 80 and 100lbs on a new belt. FSM says 190 on a NEW belt [one run for LESS than 15 min] and 170 on a used belt [one run for MORE than 15 min]. He has krikitII's now for himself and his mechanics...

Back