• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dorman Headers Suck

I've posted my experience in a couple of other threads, but felt the subject deserved its own thread as a warning to Renix owners in search of a manifold.

DO NOT BUY DORMAN EXHAUT MANIFOLDS

I have gone through 4 Manifolds from Dorman in the last week trying to eliminate my manifold gasket problem. Everyone the NAPA dealer received was out of spec and warped to varying degrees.

We finally found one that was warped only .03 (spec is .017). After taking it home and fitting it up, I realized an ear needed a bit of grinding to clear a bolt. No problem, a little grinding took care of that issue, and I was able to flatten the manifold on a sheet of plate glass with 220 sandpaper on it. All was well I thought.

Until I tried to install it. The boss for installing the pipe between intake and exhaust was off by 5/8".

NAPA gave my money back and I have a dealer manifold coming.

So, let this be a warning: Dorman headers (at least this current batch) have SERIOUS QC issues. Besides the above mentioned problems, you could see lots of voids and pits in the steel for the flanges, not really giving me the warm fuzzies about their ability to hold a seal.

good to know..

my experience with one for a 1997 TJ (same as the newer XJ's I believe?) was great though. Bolted right up (no EGR though as the renix) and the owner has about 60K on it now, with only tightening it down maybe 2 times in that period with no leaks ever.

The renix is a bit less R&D 'd for most as theres not as many of them and the demand is much lower I am sure. Even my pacesetter was a POS for my Renix. Same issues I think as you had with the dorman.

Sorry to hear of all the issues, that sucks!

Good to know! Glad I didnt buy mine yet.
So who makes a good one?

1985xjlaredo said:
Good to know! Glad I didnt buy mine yet.
So who makes a good one?

The only option I found for Renix, other than Dorman, is the dealer. Mine is costing $326 to my door.

To be honest, I'm not sure idf Dorman just got a bad shipment, or if this is a longer term problem. All I know is that in the last 3-4 months, you can't get a good one.

check with clifford, and banks, and then theres also others on ebay, some good some not so good. expect some mod work though with any of them with the egr tube.

Bought ex man. on ebay from am-autosports 2 weeks ago. SS with neat clean welds, but, the EGR tube had to be modified as they were off by 3/4 inch. PITA & more expense.

Hugh said:
Bought ex man. on ebay from am-autosports 2 weeks ago. SS with neat clean welds, but, the EGR tube had to be modified as they were off by 3/4 inch. PITA & more expense.

How did you mod the tube? Looked to me if I tried to rebend, I'd screw it up. Stainless steel ain't exactly easy to bend.

I tried to "mod" mine and while heating and gently bending, it cracked. SO I cut it the rest of the way... Folded over each end about 3 times and hammered them Flat as paper to seal. Now I just dont have a EGR but you have to really look to see that they are not connected. Hopefully in CA it will still pass..

Back