• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual overide for new elec fan

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this sounds dumb but I know ZERO about electrical. Basically this would make the controller think that the engine never gets warm enough to turn on the fan??

Can I use and ordinary 2 position switch since I'm not dealing with large amounts of power? No need for special switches or relays?

Thanks for the help

What year is the XJ? It may be possible to just use a Bosch style relay to control the primary fan so that it comes on simultaneously with the auxilary. You could additionally wire in a switch to trip both relays so you have a manual override.

This is the way I have it wired on my 90 Renix using two OEM fans. One of them being a 10 blade and an 8 blade. I fused the OEM 10 blade with a 30 amp fuse...hasn't blown yet (we'll see). I may also upgrade the 8 blade with another 10 blade if it becomes available at the U pull it yard just because they are such a good price. The first thing I noticed is the throttle response is crisp and responsive, it'll buck like a horse if I goose it off the line.:farmer: Another thing is that now since there is no slow turning fan behind the radiator while cruising there must be sufficient air flow not cause my fans to come on, sweet. Gas mileage should increase slightly due to the missing drag on the accesory drive. I do not miss the clutch fan at all and now the only thing I'm concerned about is the stock Delco GM alternator. It's fairly decent at 100 amperes but I'm probably only seeing 30a or 40a at my 600 rpm idle if I'm lucky. I need to see if I can get a CS-144 unit to fit but that's another thread.

Last edited:
Back