• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap questions and other junk

DBenz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'll explain my situation to you first. I have a 97 XJ, hp D30/D35. Obviously, I'm wanting to swap out the rear. I found a guy with a hp D30 and a 27 spline 8.25 regeared to 4.56s for dirt cheap (8.25 also has ZJ discs).

Catcher is that the D30 does not have axles or hubs, and needs a new carrier and pinion bearings. My question is, would it be worth it to swap all of my good parts from my working d30 to this d30 in order to have a functioning front axle with 4.56 gears? Is is possible to change the pinion bearings without taking it to a shop?

My other option would be get the axles, takes R&P out of the 30 and pay $200 to have those gears put in my complete d30. Let me know what you guys think,

Derek

Id look for a 29 spline 8.25. Unless you want to get a new carrier and shafts and all that jazz to upgrade, Id shy away from it just because while it is an upgrade, there are better out there.
To swap out the carrier bearings you might have to reset up the gears, so unless you have the knowhow to do it, it might not be that
Id buy some gears and have them set up for your 30, because you know its hopefully in good condition, and you wouldnt have to swap anything.

If you are replacing the carrier, it would only be a tad more work to regear your 30 with the 4.56s from the new axle. Because you would still likely have to setup the new 30 with the carrier and pinion bearings. WHat you'll lose in extra gear setup you save in not having to swap everything over.

He wants $300 for both axles. I was thinking about working on them for the winter, but do I want to dump money into locking a 27 spline 8.25? Are they that bad?

I've got a friend with a 27 spline, locked, 4.56s, 35s, hasn't broken anything and hes been wheeling hard for a while, exo cage and all...

Worst case scenario, I have reverse cut 4.56 gears, 8.25 gears (for a future 29 spline), ZJ disc brakes for the future 29 spline, etc.....?

DBenz said:
He wants $300 for both axles. I was thinking about working on them for the winter, but do I want to dump money into locking a 27 spline 8.25? Are they that bad?

I've got a friend with a 27 spline, locked, 4.56s, 35s, hasn't broken anything and hes been wheeling hard for a while, exo cage and all...

I don't have the 27 spline, but IXNAYXJ(member on here) has one, and has been punishing it with a lockrite for 2 years or so, and no problems, no broken shafts, no bad locker so far. Hes ran 33x10.50 and 33x12.50's. Has an AX15 and 4.56 gears, FWIW.

DBenz said:
Worst case scenario, I have reverse cut 4.56 gears, 8.25 gears (for a future 29 spline), ZJ disc brakes for the future 29 spline, etc.....?

All you need for for the 8.25 is a new carrier, spider gears, (Or a locker of some sort) and axle shafts to upgrade to 29 splines. The housing is the same.

But getting a new carrier would mean regearing the axle, which is why I was interested in these axles to begin with....already geared, save some cash...

correct...both axles have 4.56s. I believe I will get them, in the end it will most likely be a frankenstein of axle swaps and what not, but please keep the opinions and comments, etc. coming.

How much do carriers and axles form a 29 spline run usually? I would have to regear with a new carrir and the old 4.56s from the 27 spline, correct?

DBenz said:
How much do carriers and axles form a 29 spline run usually? I would have to regear with a new carrir and the old 4.56s from the 27 spline, correct?

Carriers are $50 to $70 bucks. Summit Racing sells Superior shafts for $105 each. You can use the 4.56 gear set you already have, but they might need setup again. You will also need new side spider gears if your keeping it open.

Machined open huh? That would be nice, has anyone ever done this? I would almost bet that to machine it open would be cheaper than $50-$70. I would definetly lock it and not waste money on spider gears, most likely a lunchbox powertrax. But if I would have to regear, it might be smarter to sjsut buy a 29 spline and regear it if I will have to anyways....

Yea, i guess I could have the carrier machine out, get a 29 spline locker, and then upgrade to some AlloyUSA shafts and get the 29 splines. By maching out the carrier, I wouldn't have to regear most likely either, correct?

DBenz said:
Yea, i guess I could have the carrier machine out, get a 29 spline locker, and then upgrade to some AlloyUSA shafts and get the 29 splines. By maching out the carrier, I wouldn't have to regear most likely either, correct?

You keep saying regear? Do you mean setting up the gears for the proper pattern? Yes, you would somewhat on the 8.25, as it has the adjuster nuts on each side.

Back