• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Install Question

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Help needed from the experts. I have removed and disassembled my Dana 30 axle out of my 1990 Comanche. I am in the process of installing 4:56 gears. During the disassembly I mutilated the oil baffle(slinger) behind the inner pinion bearing race and it is not usable and my install kit does not have a new one. This baffle is .015 thick and works in combination with shims to set the pinion depth. Can I just add .015 worth of extra shims or is it crucial that I install a new baffle?? Thanks

The large diameter slinger, bigger than the pinion head? I always kept spares around.. you might get by without it, but I would seriously not recommend it. Possible problems include burned up bearings or chronically leaking pinion seal.

The baffle that I'm talking about is the one that sits behind the inner pinion bearing race not the large one that is bigger than the pinion head.

Back