• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

License Plate Mount Options for Swing-Away Tire Carrier

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
For relocation of license plate/tag with a swing-away tire carrier....anyone know of good mount options for the plate and illumination light? Ready-made source, or DIY....

Thanks much.

I made this for my C4X4 swingaway.

HPIM1805.jpg

I used a trailer license plate kit on my C4x4 bumper, and added a clearance light in the middle of the tire carrier for a stop lamp. I also used a 4 wire trailer harness to the swing arm so I've got an easy disconnect in case I have to take the arm off.

[FONT=&quot]old cargo van from the junk yard for the light and a couple strategically placed holes in the hatch.

Back.jpg

[/FONT]

Take a front license plate bracket. Make a 90 degree notch in the back and flip it over. Screw it to your swing out arm and use an AEV LED license plate light. Run the wiring along your swing arm and into the rear compartment. Hook it up to the oem wiring and you're good to go.

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01400.jpg

i made my own...it cost nothing had the parts around the shop... i made if from a flat bar and a small angle iron to keep it from wobbling.. look at the pic in the link..http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikereid350/detail?.dir=208f&.dnm=1a3ascd.jpg&.src=ph .i would have just put up the pic but have no idea how..

Sorry its not a close-up, but I'm using the AEV license plate bracket w/LED mounted to the body. It was pretty easy to install and the LED is really nice. And I know people will ask so: no they don't make the rear bumper and tire carrier anymore, but yes you should still be able to buy the license plate kit.

csprings09M.jpg

I kinda booty-fabbed mine for now, till I come up with something better. LPL is from NAPA and plate is secured via self tapping screws with only the top two holes in the plate.

100_2487.jpg

HTH

Hale

When i get a rear tire carrier, I plan on putting my plate on a plate hanger that I saw once that slides into the 2" receiver. Just remove it when towing or wheeling.

EricsXJ said:
Sorry its not a close-up, but I'm using the AEV license plate bracket w/LED mounted to the body. It was pretty easy to install and the LED is really nice. And I know people will ask so: no they don't make the rear bumper and tire carrier anymore, but yes you should still be able to buy the license plate kit.

csprings09M.jpg

Actually before the site was under construction I remember that they were going to bring back their bumpers. Hopefully my memory serves me correctly

Krazors001 said:
Actually before the site was under construction I remember that they were going to bring back their bumpers. Hopefully my memory serves me correctly
I spoke to them in person at SEMA and specifically asked them about this since it has been a rumor ever since they sold the original 25 (and only 25)... They said they have no plans to put this bumper back into production.

Just make your own. All it has to do is hold less than a pound of metal. I made mine for about 10 bucks and it works great. I've got a wire quick disconnect in case I ever need to remove my swing arm as well. Sorta g-hetto, but its cheap and it rocks. Just use some spare tin or go buy a $3 deck tie and cut it up.

standard

standard

standard

I have mine up dead center on the back of my safari rack. I have TJ tail lights on the outside, back up spot lamps inside of them and then 2 License plate lamps w/the plate in the middle. I don't have a pic, sry

Back