• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Upgrades

TheAlmightySam

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys - sincerest apologies if this has been posted before, but my search both on here and on Google came up less than fruitful, which more-than-likely answers my question. But...

My steering box ('92 XJ, 4.0) is leaking like a sieve and I figure, if I truly want to abuse this beast like it's made for, I might as well upgrade if I'm planning on replacing the steering box anyway. This rig, likely, will see no bigger than 33s and a 5.5" lift in the forseeable future, probably no larger than 35s ever. Probably. So, are there steering box upgrades available, and more importantly, is there any point in upgrading if I don't plan on making this rig into a monster? If I plan on yarding out the pressure hoses at the same time, are there stronger (maybe stainless?) lines for that, and again, any point in the upgrade?

Thanks guys!

RedHeapOjeep said:
Search for durango box upgrades.
Anything beyond that would require fabrication. Do some searching.

PSC makes "bolt-on" upgraded steering boxes for Jeeps. No fabrication needed unless you went to assist.

-Mike

Mike L said:
PSC makes "bolt-on" upgraded steering boxes for Jeeps. No fabrication needed unless you went to assist.

-Mike

As well as an unfavorable reputation that I've read about, so I omitted them and the other aftermarket companies boxes. It's my understanding that they are simply reworked factory boxes anyways, an "upgrade" would be to a bigger box, such as the durango.

Just rebuild what you have and tap it for ram assist. That is all you will need with 35's. I have no prob with ram assist and 37's.

I'm working on this too.
You want a '99 4x4 Durango/Dakota steering box - one from a V8.
'98 is different - 2000 is different.
It's bigger and stronger, turn faster and bolts right up in the stock 3 holes.
While you're at it look at the C ROK frame plate, and make one yourself based on their design.

RedHeapOjeep said:
As well as an unfavorable reputation that I've read about, so I omitted them and the other aftermarket companies boxes. It's my understanding that they are simply reworked factory boxes anyways, an "upgrade" would be to a bigger box, such as the durango.

The stock box has a 2.750" piston. THIS box is an upgrade because of the larger piston, 3.125". So yes it is an "upgrade" as you call it.

-Mike

What's up Mike?

The Durango box also has a 3.125" piston. The PSC box is $330. I got my reman Durango box for $116 from our friend.

I know a couple of people (like Clean RC) are using the PSC box with good luck. But I decided to go the budget route, especially since I don't ever plan on running 35s.

I thought a better upgrade would be the YJ box with a 4-bolt conversion setup like TnT customs makes.

See it here:
http://www.tntcustoms.com/webV4/xj4boltsteering.asp

Maybe I haven't been around enough, but I've read that most XJ steering problems are related to the weak factory mounting using just 3 bolts, along with the weak factory mounting area (IE: sheetmetal). This is the first time I've heard of people having problems related to the size of the steering shaft.

my steering box is going out as well so I'm interested too. Not trying to hijack but does anybody know if the three holes on the xj box is the same as the yj box. I would assume they are but not positive. So in theory, you could just use drill out the fourth hole in a c-rok plate (for those who already have them) and use another tube sleeve and provide the same mounting as the t&t custom bracket, correct?

Last edited:
Man steering is overrated. If you really want to put some power to your wheels, downgrade to a mannual box and hit the gym.

Then if your not getting enough power to turn your wheels its cause you are a weak little bidch. Solution? Take roids.

If I had a mannual steering box I'd be breaking steering knuckles all day. I had to have power box to serve as a fuse between the wheels and my awesomeness

Last edited:
northwestxj said:
my steering box is going out as well so I'm interested too. Not trying to hijack but does anybody know if the three holes on the xj box is the same as the yj box. I would assume they are but not positive. So in theory, you could just use drill out the fourth hole in a c-rok plate (for those who already have them) and use another tube sleeve and provide the same mounting as the t&t custom bracket, correct?

Check here.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101976

Back