• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4-hi = Neutral

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
Whats going on, i can get into 4-lo no problem but i when i shift into 4-hi, nothing it acts like its in neutral. if by chance i do get it in to 4-hi, it will fall back into neutral. the lever in the cab isnt moving out of 4-hi either, any ideas?

4.0 5sp np231

try coasting about 3-5 MPH's and smoothly sliding the shifter to the right and down.you should'nt have to wrench on it.my 95 was hard to engage at first cuz it had never been used but after a couple of days in 4 hi it shifts in and out like butter

a7273chargerguy said:
try coasting about 3-5 MPH's and smoothly sliding the shifter to the right and down.you should'nt have to wrench on it.my 95 was hard to engage at first cuz it had never been used but after a couple of days in 4 hi it shifts in and out like butter

I sometimes have to do that with my 4-lo. So try that.

When did this probem start? what could have caused the poor shifting........rock?

adjust the linkage and be done with it. Loosen the nut on the rod and manually put the t-case in 4-lo, then pull the lever into 4-lo. Then tighten the nut and you should be set.

It only takes 5 minutes and then when you need 4wd you know it will be there---don't wait until you have to lay in a foot of snow to do it!

Back