• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 Rear End. C8.25. Please help.

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, Before you shoot me... I also posted this on the JeepSpeed.com forum.
I really need help.
I have searched this site and JeepSpeed for info. I am at a loss in figuring out how I can help my son upgrade our 96 C8.25 rear end. I lost my spouse years ago. I want my son to have our old 96 xj. He reads JP and wants to do JeepSpeed when he is older. I fiqure we could do upgrades to the Jeep step by step so that when he is older he can enter a few races. We live near a National Park where he practices driving off road.

What can we do to this rear end?
Is there a truss system for it?
Since it was manufactured in 9-95... Can we upgrade the axles from the 27 spline to 29 spline?
Are there chrome moly axles for it?
What is the strongest axle for this rear end?
What would be the best locker for it?
Is there disc brake system for it?

I appreciate your responses. Thanks. Vicki

cher96 said:
Okay, Before you shoot me... I also posted this on the JeepSpeed.com forum.
I really need help.
I have searched this site and JeepSpeed for info. I am at a loss in figuring out how I can help my son upgrade our 96 C8.25 rear end. I lost my spouse years ago. I want my son to have our old 96 xj. He reads JP and wants to do JeepSpeed when he is older. I fiqure we could do upgrades to the Jeep step by step so that when he is older he can enter a few races. We live near a National Park where he practices driving off road.

What can we do to this rear end?
Is there a truss system for it?
Since it was manufactured in 9-95... Can we upgrade the axles from the 27 spline to 29 spline?
Are there chrome moly axles for it?
What is the strongest axle for this rear end?
What would be the best locker for it?
Is there disc brake system for it?

I appreciate your responses. Thanks. Vicki

You can regear it, lock it, disc brake it, truss it...
You can upgrade to 29 spline axle shafts, but you will need a new carrier and spider gears if you are keeping it open.
Summit Racing sells Chromo shafts. Here. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294925134+4294908280+4294908279+4294924667+115+4294851288
I would get a Detroit. Solid locker, full case as well. Get the 29 spline one obviously.
You can use Disc brakes off a ZJ D44, with the aluminlum housing.(correct me if Im wrong) You have do grind the backing plate hole to fit over the tube on the 8.25. Also the prop. valve from the donor vehicle. There are different ways to approach this, a search would bring it up.

First off welcome to NAXJA!
Don't take this in a bad way but theres a search feature here where you could find in depth answers to most of your questions so try and see if you can get anything out of (which I'm sure you can:D)

As for your 8.25 you can switch to 29 spline but you need a new carrier and spider gears
you could also do a disc brake swap from a D44 out of a ZJ but it will take some modification to make it fit quite right.
You can lock it, and also re gear although no lower then 4.56
Chromo shafts are available as well

hope this helps!

CanMan,
What a quick reply! You don't know how much I appreciate your help!
Will the 29 Spline shafts fit the 27 Spline axle housings? I'm stupid, I know. I'm trying.
Where should we get the disc brakes off a ZJ D44? Do you suppose we go to the dealership for the parts?
What is a "prop valve?"

Thanks. Vicki

cher96 said:
CanMan,
Will the 29 Spline shafts fit the 27 Spline axle housings? I'm stupid, I know. I'm trying.
Where should we get the disc brakes off a ZJ D44? Do you suppose we go to the dealership for the parts?
What is a "prop valve?"

Thanks. Vicki

prop valve= proportioning valve
you can get the parts needed from a junkyard/Auto store for 100-200 or Teraflex sells a brand new kit for around $500 I believe?
and yes the shafts will fit

Andrew

cher96 said:
CanMan,
What is a "prop valve?"

Thanks. Vicki

Yes, the 29 spline shafts will fit in the housing, a new carrier and spider gears or full locker is still needed.
You have any junk yards around your place? Id look there, or for someone parting one out. I wouldnt go to the Stealership. Way too spendy IMO.
A proportioning valve. Also called a Combination valve. The valve provides the correct pressure for the brakes. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/master-brake2.htm

Just a thought. Are you sure you have a 27 spline in your '96? I have an early '96 (Nov. '95 build) with 27, but many of the later builds are 29. Count those teeth if you haven't before you buy anything.

Search is great for finding info. I think saved enough to pay for a membership before I needed to ask any new questions.

LilRhodyXJ,
Thank you for your response. Yes, I have tried the search option for C8.25 and Chrysler 8.25.

However, your reply has helped me understand a bit better. I didn't want to order 29 spline shafts for this housing if they would not fit.

We do not have the extra money to make mistakes and I appreciate all the help I can get. I am only doing this for my son.

I am sure most can understand this. Vicki

PhotographerMike said:
Just a thought. Are you sure you have a 27 spline in your '96? I have an early '96 (Nov. '95 build) with 27, but many of the later builds are 29. Count those teeth if you haven't before you buy anything.

The white sticker on my xj says 9-95.
VIN 1J4FJ78SXTL130516

If anyone knows how to check this... it would help. Thanks. Vicki

29 spline 8.25 is a good rear end...it would be as strong if not stronger then the D44 if it wasn't C-Clip... If you are able to set some money aside and maybe are looking to really beat on the Jeep then a rear end swap to a Dana 44 or an explorer 8.8 could be a thought. I don't think you should really have much of a problem unless you plan on putting in gears numerically higher then 4.56s or if your son is going to be really mashing on it while wheeling but when you come to a final plan atleast give it a thought...I don't wheel hard what so ever compared to a lot of the guys on here because my Jeep is not exactly up to snuf so I have had no problems (especially with spinning 31s and stock gears) but it depends on what your really going to get into
also 44s and 8.8s have a better aftermarket support and things tend to be cheaper for them like in the case of a Detroit Locker...

but once again I stress I'm just putting this out there I'm not saying the 8.25 is easily broken
Andrew

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
My son is already "mashing it" in the woods. That is why I am so worried about him getting stuck out somewhere. I want that he is safe.
You all have been a great help. Thank you.
He wants to go with 33's 4.25 BS 5.5 RE lift and fender flares. A roll cage, etc. etc. etc.

Thank you so very much. Vicki

As a dad of a 23 year old.

Take your time and learn before you spend.

We all have opinions and often like to "spend" others peoples $$ on what we think would be best.

Enjoy your time with your son.

Mike

P.S. You probably have a 27 spline axle.
I do and since I need to drive my Cherokee home I don't plan on stressing anything too much.
Things can break when least expected though. One car of mine broke an axle in the carport.
Save your money for the little things first. I've had mine for about a year. First thing I did was replace all the fluids, filters and belts (Differential, trans, brake, coolant, fuel), I learned a lot about the truck while I was at it.
(Nothing like quality time with the son looking at the underside of our cars.)
Next was new shocks and tires, just routine, but needed.
With a 10 year old car other things can get tired and need replacing. There isn't much that you and your son can't figure out given some time and a decent repair guide (Chilton is good for the money). If you can't fix it at least you'll have a good idea what is needed.
I have replaced the front brakes and rotors, water pump, battery and added many factory options that didn't come on my "stripper". I read, took my time and have done several things for the first time in 35+ years of driving.

Boy, that was a long P.S.
Just trying to keep prioritys right.

We have done some work on the Jeep already.
Transmission cooler
Transmission Fluid Filter
Oil cooler
Synthetic oil
3 core radiator
8mm wires
Spitfire plugs
Race coil

We want to build it up step by step... as money comes available.
I don't want him to tear out the rear end before we build it.

Do you know where a truss system is available for it?

Thanks, Vicki

Because you also asked about lockers, if you get a locker that replaces the carrier (Detroit, ARB) then get the 29 spline version. Then all you need is 29 spline shafts. You kind of kill two bird with one stone that way, but those lockers are more on the expensive end (but worth it IMO).

If you are taking your time on it and choose to do the disc brakes first, you will be pulling the shafts out in order to add the disc brake backing plates so you can count the number of splines at that time. That is also a convenient time to switch to alloy shafts but if they are 27 spline, then I'd wait and do it together with the locker and gears. I'm using the TeraFlex kit for the discs and very happy with it.

The only thing bad about this axle IMO is it can only gear down to 4.56 (at this time). 4.56 is ideal for 33's and okay for 35's (again just my opinion).

Well as a person that would love to get into Jeepspeed but cant since I live in BC Canada, I have done lots of research into the process and am building mine to be a Jeepspeed for the fun of it, even if it never sees Jeepspeed. in regards to the rear end. First off C-clips are not as bad a people say it if you look at it from another angle. People hate them cause they can fail and u lose an axle shafh cause it will come right out of the axle while you are driving. If you do the disk brake swap, it wont come off, and no need to worry about that. But you also need to ask yourself is this axle with 29 splines going to hold up to the abuse of Jeepspeed. If your son decided to get into it heavy, I would say not. The majority of Jeep speed racers use 6" of lift and 33-35" tires if I recall correctly. And desert racing is not easy on parts. I would say it may not stand up. So you need to ask yourself, do you do an axle swap like a ford 8.8 or like many Jeepspeeders (if I recall correctly) run ford 9." Now I know what you are thinking, you cant afford to swap in an axle like that, but if you keep breaking the axle you have every time you head out to the races, its going to add up quickly and you are gonna wish you had the ford 9."

This is all how I see it and I would do it. Assuming this is not going to see alot of desert racing, the 8.25 might be fine, but if he decided to go right into it, then the 9" might be the way to do. Best thing you could do is go out and pick up the new JP Magazine this month and the next 2 or three issues, Lafontaine (a guru of Jeepspeed, and winner of many many races) is showing off the build of his new Jeep Speed racer, so this will give you an idea of what HArd core Jeep speed racing is all about, and I beleive he runs a for 9 plus. But again this is a guy that runs it hard, not so much for the begginner, but if you want to do these mods now so that it can race in the future, it might be somthing to think about and research vs. putting tons of $$ into the 8.25

We have looked into the Currie 9 inch and many of the other great and wonderful hard core rear ends. However, on a teachers paycheck, we have to do with a cheaper solution. I want that he can go out and have fun and come back safely. I can not afford a dream machine. JeepSpeed is supposed to be for the common man. That is what my son tells me. Maybe he'll never jump the "Wall" but he could have fun just being part of it.

I wish to thank everyone for helping me. Vicki

Back