• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what theads dose ARB use ?

cocoloco

NAXJA Forum User
years ago i had ARB lockers installed but the threads where british threads or something ,the mechanic could not find a tap for them so he used epoxy or something but oil use to leak from the whole . i am just wondering if im gonna have this same problem.

My ARB install manual shows it as being a 1/4" NPT pipe tap.

I am not sure where the oil would leak from? the only thing you need to tap is the bulkhead fitting and mine was 1/4" NPT. Yes arb uses BSP, or British Standard Pipe. Basically its either one more or one less thread per inch than that of NPT. Some say you can jam a BSP into a NPT and it will work. I choose to simply buy adapters for mine which are abialble through Weatherhead fittings. But these adapters were for the solinoid. Again, not sure where you need a tap that would cause and oil leak

From Tim (who used to work at ARB):

Tech Tim said:
They are not BPT or BSP; they are 3/8-24UNF. Grab the double/double nipple from your kit, run down to the local hardware store and search through their 3/16" brass couplers 45,30,15 deg. You'll find once you strip the nuts and ferrules off the 3/16" couplers, they are the same as the straight male/male coupler you pulled from your ARB fittings.

Back