• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner decision point

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I've been busy prepping the XJ to get herculined and started talking to a friend of mine that Rhino lined his TJ, and he got me second guessing my decision. Now I've read about the posts about Herculiner vs. Rhino liner vs. etc, and I've done most of the prep work and need to make a decision Hurculiner or not.

Now I now already know about the advantages of a professional job, so my decison is now soly based on value (I didn't say price, because obviosly Herc is the cheapest). My question to you is this:

If you went with a pro job, what did you get and how much did it cost? How much of the prep work did you do?

My second question is when I was prepping the floorboards, I found some rust. Now I'm down to this:

rust.jpg

Should I be concerned with the black stuff?

Firstly, are you talking about your entire XJ or just the interior?

Anyway, if you're getting it professionally done you shouldn't have to worry about any prep work. That's what they're getting paid for. I talked to Line-X about doing my interior and they quoted me over $600 - not because it's expensive material, but because of all the prep they would have to do.

The only real differences I see (at this point) between Herc and Rhino/Line-X is whether or not you want to do the work. If you take your time and do it right, then the Herc should be just fine.

So long as you do a good job on the prep work you will be fine. I hurculined my bumpers and rock rails when I put them on and they have been holding up fine for the last 5 years. I did the back cargo area of my XJ around the same time and its holding up as well. Theres some deep gouges in the stuff from rocks but thats about it. The interior is just fine.

Also be sure you dont get any on your hootus :D

AARON

Interior I would do Herculiner. 1 gallon kit is what you need and that plus other supplies will run you a total of about $120. I have done mine.

If it was going to be the exterior, I would NOT do Herculiner, but a professional Rhino-liner job. A buddy of mine did that and it was really high-quality.

I too did my side rails and fender flares with herc and am totally satisfied. Exterior application as simple as careful painting and immediate clean up of mistakes with xylene. Number of coats important. Two minimum and three better. On your interior work, plan your approach wisely by painting top down and away from you toward you...like a painter would...and don't paint yourself into a corner situation where you are reaching around or over already covered areas. Mask off any clean lines you want and be sure to remove tape soon after final coat application. Otherwise you will have problems as the stuff sets up quickly and permamently. Use it all...storage of leftover material is pointless because it is basically air-activated. You may have other projects where a coat of herculiner would be beneficial so think about those possibilities if you have leftover material. I did my rear receiver carrier with leftover stuff. Prep of the surface is important. After roughing up, wipe clean with acetone rag. Great results.

I have a buddy who will hook me up cheeeap with Line-X and I plan to do some of the exterior on my XJ next year, BUT I plan to sound deaden and bedline the interior first and I think I will still go Herc. Its mainly cause roll-on vs. spray. and will be easier to do the interior and less messy.

Biggest problem is I know how much better a nice 3-part bedliner is than crappy ole 1-part herc, but its the interior so who cares. Its should chip or peel too bad with good prep.

Starscream918 said:
The only real differences I see (at this point) between Herc and Rhino/Line-X is whether or not you want to do the work. If you take your time and do it right, then the Herc should be just fine.

LOL and what the actual bedliners consist of.

Also might want to look here, I've used this stuff many times and its ALOT like Rhino:

www.rattleguard.com

About $80 a gallon and is a true 3-part bedliner.

Thanks for the input guys, guess I'll go forward as planned.

Eric - read your book, it was really good. Probably the most comprehensive guide, and really good for beginners like me. I only wish there were more barney style pics like the setup of the control arms for the rest of the suspension/steering systems.

I have Herculiner throughout the inside of my jeep, i had some spots with some major rust too. Clean them up really good and you should be fine. In the end you will be really happy you did it yourself and saved the money, and it makes it really easy to clean your jeep out.

XJOFFROAD said:
any of you guys getting bubbles forming on the front floor boards because of heat? im thinking of do this too!

http://www.snootch420.freewebspace.com/photo.html

Get some type of sound deadner/proofer. You can get stuff in rolls for rain gutters and it works very well. Its in strips, tar on one side and thin paper/tin on the top. I actually got 4 rolls off ebay for $9 lol. It works like dynamat.

splitz said:
Eric - read your book, it was really good. Probably the most comprehensive guide, and really good for beginners like me. I only wish there were more barney style pics like the setup of the control arms for the rest of the suspension/steering systems.
Thanks!

falcon1235 said:
i think I'm going to weld in some drain plugs in the floorboards as well when i do mine so i can just hose out the floor when i get it super muddy
Why weld them in? I added 4 drain plugs when I did mine two up front that I drilled the same size as the others and used the stock rubber plugs from two of the holes in the very back of the XJ that are totally worthless in that location. I then drilled two 1/2" holes in the cargo areas under the bench seat and added 1/2" bailer plugs from WalMart.

Update:

I've gone ahead with the Herc as planned, put the first coat down nice and light, and a heavier coat down 3 hours after the 1st while it was still tacky. I was going to put a 3rd coat on last night, but because of the weather it wasn't quite ready before I went to bed so I'll be adding the final coat later today (hopefully that wont effect anything).

EricsXJ said:
...two of the holes in the very back of the XJ that are totally worthless in that location.

I don't really know what Jeep was thinking with the drain plugs...didn't every XJ come with carpet? It would seem to me that the rubber stoppers would be more expensive than retooling the stamp to remove the holes back when the bought the design from AMC.

splitz said:
I don't really know what Jeep was thinking with the drain plugs...didn't every XJ come with carpet?
Actually no. Some of the base models came without carpet. But still - the locations they chose for drain plug placement makes no sense. ;)

Back