• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tc popping out of four low

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
was out testing my new lift last night when i tried to go from 4 high to 4 low it would engage then pop out as i tried to go. i put it back into 4 high with no problems and got to the road.with it on flat land i engaged it into 4 low again. this time it stayed engaged.is this a problem with the lenght of my driveline?it dont rub or touch anywhere and no vibes at highway speeds.
93 xj 4.0 ho
1" tc drop
6.5"rough country
35 " tires

Do you have a SYE? I have the same problem but I am pretty sure its because my shift rail is not short enough. I cut it when I installed the SYE but apparently not enough so it doesnt fully engage and pops out when I put stress on it.

my mj was doing the same thing turns out it was the linkage shaft that goes between the under tunel to side of trannie there is a little rubber that the shaft goes in to it was wore out it is reallt hard to get in but once i got it in it fixed the problem

Take a look at couple things while under there:
1. WHat shape is your tranny mount in? if it's soft and worn then you'll never be able to adjust the linkage right.
2. Someone already mentioned the linkage bushings: same thing as tranny mount. If they're worn and soft you'll have too much slop and you'll never be able to adjust them right.

MYXJ22 said:
Do you have a SYE? I have the same problem but I am pretty sure its because my shift rail is not short enough. I cut it when I installed the SYE but apparently not enough so it doesnt fully engage and pops out when I put stress on it.
Why did you do that?

It was in the Tera sye install instructions. It is only with a few XJ's but the shift rail that the fork travels on is sometimes to long because of the new housing. It says you have to place the TC in 4lo and try to put the new front housing on, if you cant it because the rail is to long and it has to be cut to fit the housing properly when the TC is in 4lo. I didnt cut enough off because it shifts into 4lo but pops out sometimes. Plus they didnt send me a plug for some open hole in the new housing and I had to imprevise with a plug from napa that screws into that hole. I think it is too long though and this may be another reason its popping out. Sorry kinda confusing but its the only way I can explain it.

If the lift included a t/c drop kit...it is for sure the linkage adjustment.

Check your motor mounts as well. It will cause the linkage to be out of sync as well. (learned that one the hard way :( )

okay i loosened the bolt to the linkage arm-moved it by hand to get it to 4 low to readjust.but that connection where the bolt is seems to be stuck. any easy way to free it i dont want to bend it.

Back