• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS never ending issues!!

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so last April I installed a brand new NSS since I broke mine trying to clean it. Now last week my Jeep would not start outside a mall. So I jumped the starter relay to get it home. I tried adjusting the NSS and now it starts but no reverse lights again because of it. Now it keeps throwing the check engine light with the Code 1899 saying that the NSS is stuck. Can somone give me some insist. I have some knowledge with this since I have been dealing with it for a while. I dont know how it can be dirty already its only been on 8 months. I dont want to break another one.

Mine got dirty after 6 months after I cleaned it, cause its not really sealed all that well. If its new then I doubt there would be an issue with taking it off and cleaning it. The trick is to clean it with solvent, use lots of diaelectric grease on everything in there, use rtv to seal up the case and then use never seize on the shaft before you put it back on.

Jason-RJR said:
How hard are those things to change, mines crapping out too.

It is not all that bad, Make sure when you disconnect your shift linkage and put it back on be sure you look to see if the NSS matches up with the shifter (ie. neutral=neutral)

It is easy only took 30mins if that, but if you buy a new one $$$$$$ It was like 165 new.
OOOOh yeah block a tire and/or apply the parking break. :skull1:

JIMBOJAMES said:
Now it keeps throwing the check engine light with the Code 1899 saying that the NSS is stuck. Can somone give me some insist.

I am NOT AN EXPERT on this, but may you could have over tighten the attaching nut. did you bend the tabs down over the attaching nut.

PS i am talking about AW4 trans auto 4 speed
i just wanted to note that in case if you were running a manual

In a pinch with your NSS stopping your attempts to start?

Turn the key forward.....just before the starter should engage, put your foot on the brake and shift to neutral. Then start as normal. This should get you by until you can address the NSS. Works for me anyway.

Back