• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally,time for a locker. Jury still out on the No-Slip?

Rusty from Cleveland

NAXJA Forum User
Well, after things finally settling down now from when I joined the forum (2 new houses, 1 wedding, and 2 babies), it is finally approaching time to do some worthwhile mods to the 99 with the 8.25 rear. I have not been in the 4x4 circle for a while now, but the last time I did much research here several guys were singing the praises of the Powertrax No-Slip. I am just wondering if this is still the case since this is what I am considering installing in mine as my Christmas gift from my wife to me. Geocaching and maintaining a repeater site is beginning to demand a locker (atleast that is what I am telling my wife), hehe. Let me know what you guys think of the No-Slip and if there is anything else out there (lunchbox style locker) that is in the same price range or lower than the No-Slip than is comparable in operation since this is still a daily driver. I have no idea what the "latest and greatest" is nowadays. Good to be back on the forum.....Rusty still from Cleveland, TN

Well, Im not much help, but for what its worth, I too did a LOT of surfing and feedback evaluating, and the No-Slip will be the lunchbox I put in when I get my regear done soon. Too bad its a high priced lunchbox huh? Like $400+ compared to the other stuff around $250-$300

The best of both worlds, which would be a selectable locker, cost the most money. The limited slip would be better than nothing at all, and, like the non-selectable lockers can cause problems on icy roads. An ARB would be (is) my choice, but it's arround $650 pluss installation. Then you need an air compressor--another $150+. Probably get the most bang for the buck buying one of the "lunch box" units and installing it yourself.

I've had a Powertrax No-Slip for a year and it's been great. Been all over Colorado and Moab and it worked great. In the snow you just have to be aware it's there or just put it in 4WD and go.

Get a used Detroit for the rear.

I've had a No Slip in my 8.25 since 99. I've had it out twice in 7 years to replace springs, and Powertrax sent me free springs. Other than that it looks brand new (when I had it out last year, anyway). Both times I took it out was not because the No Slip quit working, but because it would pop as it disengages (which I hear full Detroits will do regardless). It would only do it once every few weeks (it was my DD at the time) so it wasn’t like it happened every time I drove it. Now the XJ is 90% off road and 10% on road to get me to the trails here is AZ and Moab, and the No Slip is still seamless after all these years. On thing though, getting the "C" clips out is a cuss-fest but even with that it only takes about an hour to change springs.

The No Slip is what it is; a lunch box locker. It is however a top of the line lunch box locker (IMHO). If you can find a used Detroit for the same price I’d go for it, but only because of the spring issue with the No Slip.

My .02

I've had a PowerTrax for a few months now in my 2 wheel drive. I don't even notice when one wheel is off the ground, much better than getting "stuck" on wet grass with an open diff.! It takes a bit of adjustment on road, don't stomp on the gas around corners or things get a bit weird, but it's a keeper for my use.

I installed a no slip about 2 months ago in my 98. I love the thing. I have a manual and it is still barely noticeble. Off road the difference is night and day! My advice... get a no slip
-Jerry

Thanks for the comments guys! You all confirmed what I had hoped to hear. I hope I can purchase one before Christmas and make the XJ even more capable. I have been putting this off long enough. Thanks for the suggestion on Rocky-Road. I dealt with them several years back and that is who I want to deal with again (plus they have the best deal). Rusty

Last edited:
Hope you have better luck than I did, lol.

I had one for 3 years in my last XJ. I was running 33's and beating it on the trails here in Colorado and in Moab. That XJ was a daily driver, and I never had a problem with it. It had great street manners, too.

I had a Detriot in my CJ-7 and, while it was bulletproof, I didn't like the way it acted on the street. There were too many times where the locker would load or unload violently at a stop sign and jerk the CJ. The first time I thought I snapped an axel it was so loud. After taht experience, I probably wouldn't buy another detriot fo a truck I was planning on driving much on the street.

If it helps. I buiding another XJ now, and I'm planmning on the NoSlip for it, also.

Someone already mentioned it, but with all automatic lockers, you have to be a bit more cautious in snow/ ice since both rear tires will slip instead of one.

I have No-Slips in the front and rear. I've had no problems at all in the past three years.

The key to success is proper installation. If the go/no-go block test doesn't work, take it all apart and do it again.

I think that some people might not pay proper attention to this test. Or whoever they paid to install it didn't know what they were doing. Or they boogered up the springs and thought it wouldn't be an issue.

I ran a No-slip in the back and a lockright in the front when I had the D30/35 combo. Both worked well enough but the No-slip was very nice, even on the street. I did have the occasional bind/sudden release, mostly when slowly changing lanes. The locker would bind and then release. Made me jump the first couple times it happened.

As with any lunchbox locker I would recommend, I toasted a carrier and a set of gears when the cross shaft sheared and went into the ring and pinion. That was on 33's.

One more question....How does this locker react when coming down a steep slick hill (on snow or whatever) and you are letting engine braking hold you back? Thanks...Rusty

I have and Auburn pro in my 98, been in there going on 4 years now, DD mostly, there have so far been no issues. It does completely replace the carrier and there is not gear break in them, whether 3:07's or 4:88's the case the auburn comes in is the same size. You do have to get used to it though, pushes you straight when under power no matter which way the wheels are pointing, once in 4wd it's transparent on snow and such. As for letting off the gas on a hill, interesting enough it snaps you straight depending on traction. It does use an additive.

Thanks Rich..I haven't heard from you in years! Good to hear that you are still on the list. Your observations are always a wealth of information...Rusty

Back