• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What makes a lift kit "complete"?

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
i have been kind of shopping around for a good priced lift kit for my 92 xj. I have seen all kinds of advertisements that say the lift kit is complete,and other companies advertise theirs are also complete,but they are offering more or less components then the others that also say their's are complete. what gives?

well, what sized lift are you looking for?

im going to guess... 4.5. and you looked at probably rustys (good stuff for the price, albeit there are less parts in the kit)
then Rubicon express (much higher price for the lift, but much more parts in the kit)

the truth is that both kits are COMPLETE as per they lift the rig and have all necessary equipment, but one kit may be, well, more complete, its just more money.

im probably wrong, so just let us know what kits you were looking at, and what size lift

A complete kit will include all needed to complete the install. Not including tools. A better brand will include things like longer brakeline hoses, rear springs, disconect swaybar mounts, depending on the hight upper control arms, longer track bar. Dependiing on where you get it may come with shocks included in the price. A lesser kit may have a cheep bracket to extend the track bar, use AAL instead of springs. For example I have seen kits advertised as 3" kits complete, but they're using spacers under the front coils, and blocks under the springs wanting yo to keep all of the OEM control arms.

Last edited:
To be "complete", a lift kit should include the following:

1. Front springs
2. Rear springs (not blocks, shackles, or add-a-leafs)
3. All mounting hardware for same
4. Sway bar disconnects
5. Shocks to match the lift height
6. New bump stops or extensions
7. Brake line extensions or relocation instructions (height dependant)
8. Detailed instructions
9. Telephone number and hours of operation for tech support for instalation issues.

Dependant upon lift height and completxity there are other parts that I feel should be included, such as control arms, brackets, SYE and driveshaft, as well as other smaller details.

I have yet to find a manufacturer that sells a "complete" lift kit since there are certain areas that the end user will usually want to vary, such as better on road handling versus extreme trail flex dictating different shock valving and the like.

The biggest difference is in the support once you have the product(s) in hand. If all the parts are there but the instructions are vague and the vendor cannot be contacted when things don't go as expected, the kit is not really complete.

Good luck

non-stick said:
The biggest difference is in the support once you have the product(s) in hand. If all the parts are there but the instructions are vague and the vendor cannot be contacted when things don't go as expected, the kit is not really complete.

Good luck

great point, i agree 100%

Go RE, RE is more, but its "complete". Add UCAs, HD tracbar w/ mount, brakelines, etc to Rustys 4.5" and its right there with my RE 4.5". Plus the fact its Rustys stuff and not RE, lol. Seriously I hate Rustys control arms and tracbars.

Take a look at Rock Krawlers 4.5" kit.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/catalog/index.php?r_itemID=8

I'm running their 6.5" long arm kit and have been very happy with the way it performs. I have helped to install both RE and RK kits abd they both have their pros and cons. It looks like RK has change theier leafs packs to help reduce axle wrap and have also changed the frame joint to a bushing type setup instead of the Krawler joint that mine has.

Back