• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front winch bumper

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
ok so after pulling out a couple cars in todays snow storm, and also failing on the other cars because i didn't have a winch, i'm trying to rush this bumper/winch buying procedure a little bit.

my #1 preference right now is the T&T bumper. but since i don't have that much money right now, i'm looking at some possible options.

my #2 option is the rustys stinger winch bumper.

i was wondering if anybody has any direct experience with the rusty's front bumpers???

also what other bumpers would you recommend. and not just for looks, but also for strenght. the T&T front bumper seems to have nice strong tie ins, and so does nates 4x4 front bumper.

any other recommendations??? i really like the front stingers or at least a nice hoop.

Ya I was looking at the TNT for a while after i got some money for insurance, but then I ended up going new leafs in the back to fix the sag.

I was also looking at JCR a while back, I have heard some good htings about them.

I've really tried to research the different front winch bumpers - just ordered the JCR stage 2 today based on things that fit my needs/wants: 3/16" construction, heavy 3/4" tabs, extended frame mounts, low (but not too low) winch mount, finished wrap around end protection, I think it will look nice on my junk, and look at the welds in the last pic on their web site (very professional). Wow I want it now! - I don't want to wait. JMHO check out the JCR and compare to the others.

Mike

I have a home made one for sale. It's not slick on looks, but it is stout and holds a winch. It was made by a buddy of mine and has a grill guard tied in to protect the whole front end, not a stinger. If you are interested, let me know and I can send some pics and talk price.

Not a bumper, but I have a detours XJ Backbone system. Deep tie-ins on the unibody rails and not very heavy.

I have the Rusty's stinger bumper and I like it alot. It does take a little getting used to driving down the road but its awesome. Its light but stout. I actually mounted it by myself. I have a Mile Marker 9000 winch mounted to it.

06R6 said:
I have the Rusty's stinger bumper and I like it alot. It does take a little getting used to driving down the road but its awesome. Its light but stout. I actually mounted it by myself. I have a Mile Marker 9000 winch mounted to it.

how are the frame tie-ins???

I have the jcr stage 2. Installation wasn't easy (it required some cutting and welding to install the unibody tie ins) but it is a very stout bumper. I am 100% confident that it will perform for many years to come with a fresh coat of paint every now and then.

1511345642_l.jpg

j99xj said:
I have the jcr stage 2. Installation wasn't easy (it required some cutting and welding to install the unibody tie ins) but it is a very stout bumper. I am 100% confident that it will perform for many years to come with a fresh coat of paint every now and then.

Hmmmm, I thought it was just a bolt it up and bolt it on. What parts required welding and cutting ? Reason I ask is the one JCR stage2 is the one I have been looking at for my 98 but not having access to a welding setup.....

j99xj said:
i would also like to know what required welding and cutting. i was considering this bumper but i dont have access to a welder i was under the impression that it bolted up.

have a jcr winch bumper, did it my self, was no "fab" required, the tie ins are plug and play very simple bolton stuff. maybe you were making it much harder than needed to be?!

wife has a rustys stinger with 12k mile marker on it. Works good. Mounts with brackets similar to factory tow hooks, just heavier. Alot of Rusty's stuff is good...shipping and communication stink...so dont plan on knowing when your going to get it.

The bumper mounting tabs were 1/4" too close, so that means one of the unibody tie in brackets had to be cut in order to install the bumper. After the bumper was on the gap between the cut unibody plate and bumper tab were welded together.

Also I had my welder tack my winch to the bumper and tack the bumper to the frame, just to keep honest thiefs from stealing them.

yellowxj said:
wife has a rustys stinger with 12k mile marker on it. Works good. Mounts with brackets similar to factory tow hooks, just heavier. Alot of Rusty's stuff is good...shipping and communication stink...so dont plan on knowing when your going to get it.

similar to the factory tow hooks??? that doesn't seem very impressive. is there any way to strenghten it up a little. maybe by using the c-rock plates or something else???

i think rustys is the only winch bumper i've found for cherokees that has a nice high stinger like that. otherwise i'll try to get the T&T bumper.

does anybody else know of any tall stinger bumpers for cherokees???

also what kind of recovery points does the rusty's stinger bumper have??? i can't really see anything on their website. T&T's bumper seems to only use those cheap bolt on tow hooks for recovery points, but at least it has some.

Back