• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumbling problem

watson

NAXJA Forum User
Checking to see if anyone knows what this might be...

I have a 93 XJ with the HO 4.0L, auto trans. It idles fine and I can rev it up in "park" and it revs fine with no hickups but when I drive it, it drives fine up to about 1500rpm and then it spits, sputters, stumbles, and falls on its nose. It did this once before on a trailride and I limped it back to the trailer and I didn't do a thing to it. I didn't have time to mess with it. The next time I tried to drive it and backed it off the trailer about a month later, it ran fine like nothing ever happened. I drove it as a daily driver for about 3 weeks after that with no problems and then all of a sudden, one morning it started doing it again.

I figure it has to be fuel, air, or spark related.

I pulled all the plug-wires off to see if they were corroded but they all looked fine. Could it be something deeper in the distributor? Maybe a bad coil? O2 sensor? Why would it rev fine until a load is put on it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks much.

A FUEL PUMP CAN CAUSE A PROBLEM LIKE THAT
PUT A GAUGE ON IT AND PUT THE JEEP IN GEAR AND POWER BRAKE IT
IF THE FUEL PRESSURE DROPS DOWN THATS THE PROBLEM. CHECK THE FILTER, BUT MOST LIKLEY A PUMP. IT WILL REV IN PARK CAUSE THERE IS NO LOAD ON THE ENGINE.
THE PUMP MAY HAVE TO GET WARM BEFORE IT ACTS UP.

HOPE THAT HELPS
JUSTIN

I had a very similar problem. I bought a 93 XJ with 270K on the motor and the guy told me that the tranny was going out b/c it would cut out and sputter along at 1500-2000 rpms. He thought it was in the tranny....so he told me $400 and it was mine. I bought it and drove it 175 miles home and noticed the sputtering he was talking about. It sounds alot like what your encountering too. I ran the problem down to the plug wires. Even though they looked fine, they were worn out on one of the wires. I changed them out with a cheap set of $16 plug wires and threw in new plugs, cap and rotor all for under $40..and it has ran like a top ever since. Not to mention that it has over 300,000 miles on it now!! You may want to check on changing out the wires....it worked for me.

Back