• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Future build, help me out please

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Alright right now while I'm not doing jack in the hospital or at home except beating cancer hehe, I've been planning out my next little build on my XJ. My house is about to be sold and as soon as the big C is gone and I'm able to get back to work fulltime I am jumping in this feet first.

1. Okay got a 1970s F150/100 (not sure my friend is giving it to me, goood friend) 9" rear thats been trussed in the rear, full spool, 4.10s, disc brakes (no clue from where) and 31 spline moser shafts. Anways I ASSume the full spool works like a carrier and it can fit different ring gears? I think I may be going 4.88s.

2. My dana turdy which will be detroited and already has 1-ton steering is staying for now. Since truley when I think about it my purpose for the 9" wasn't to run larger tires is was to get a cheap, strong, worthy of locking axle with discs, which it should be. Anways back to the hp d30 I'll need spacers, 5 on 4.5" to 5 on 5.5", so I already know with 1.25" spacers it will still be a little narrow compared to the 9", but how much more stress will that add to my 30? Already being a new to front locker user it makes me kind nervous.

3. My freakin 242 with HnT SYE. Its been fine and dandy up to 35s, but will it be okay with even lower diff gears and a full spool on a DD? For some reason I just keep think thats gonna be alot more stress than open and 4.56s. I have no huge issue with swapping in a 231 and HD SYE, it may be good to do since I want to upgrade to TNT LAs and the fact neeed the extra clearence cause....

4. I guess I'll be staying on 33x12.50s. Probably MTZs, except I am thinking going 16" wheels and arn't 305/75 16s the same as 33x12.50s? I know 285s are to slim. Yeah I plan on a pinion guard for the 9".

5. As to gearing 4.56s and 33s seems perfect for my DD, but I am thinking I may want to go 4.88s just incase the bigger tire bug hits sooner than later. My d30 right now has no gears in it btw and I can sell my new 4.56s for more than I paid for them. 4.88s and 33s doesn't sound bad, hell I've done 4.56s and 31s.

OR

Is the whole 9" a waste cause I am still staying 33s? I mean I will not spend $500 on a locker for the 8.25 and I will eventually go atleast hp d44 front and 36s one day so atleast this is a step in the right direction.

You can run WJ hubs to get to 5 on 5.5 They have the same standoff as XJ/TJ hubs.

1. If you need the width, adapters may be a better choice, but if your running low backspaced wheels adding spacers may greatly decrease the life of your unit hubs.

2. The 231 is a stronger unit than the 242 for sure. I guess I would wheel it till you have a problem with it though.

If it were my Jeep and I was running 33's or 35's I would get an 8.8. If you want a cheap 8.8 go with the drum version. They are identical in strength to the disc ones, but you can get them for free - $100 usually. Discs are a bolt-on later if you wish.

I ran a d30 with WJ outers, and a drum 8.8 with 35's. Loved it, only broke one front shaft backing up a ledge at full lock (retarded *lol*)

The front WJ brakes rocked, and the rear drums never gave me any problems.

If your cool with the RPM's go with a deeper gear. That way you can go to 35's when/if you feel the need.

Thanks man gotta look into those WJ hubs...I really need some spacers or either run two different backspaced rims, err never an easy choice. Which is why I keep thinking I'll just go 96+ Exploder 8.8, but it'll cost me $1500 just to get the axle like I want it and its still weaker and c-clip...end up being cheaper to add the 9" even with wheels.

The c-clip really isn't a strength problem (besides the PITA to take the shafts out)

How will it cost $1500 for an 8.8? Even even you get a close to new axle ($400), gears ($150), install kit ($100), aftermarket shafts ($250) Your still at $900 with plenty of cash to pay for the install if need be...

monkeyevil said:
The c-clip really isn't a strength problem (besides the PITA to take the shafts out)

How will it cost $1500 for an 8.8? Even even you get a close to new axle ($400), gears ($150), install kit ($100), aftermarket shafts ($250) Your still at $900 with plenty of cash to pay for the install if need be...

My 8.8:

Newer Exploder axle ($200)
+ TNT truss ($150)
+ welding on new TNT 1" lift perches/shock mounts ($126)
+ diffcover ($100)
+ gears/master install ($235)
+ Detroit locker ($500+)
+ e-brake cables, etc. ($80)
+ labor ($250)
= over $1600

Remeber the 9" is a freebie and just needs a gear change.

BTW WJ hubs are 5 on 5, not 5 on 5.5 so thats out. Could just redrill the 9" shafts

ZachMan said:
My 8.8:

Newer Exploder axle ($200)
+ TNT truss ($150)
+ welding on new TNT 1" lift perches/shock mounts ($126)
+ diffcover ($100)
+ gears/master install ($235)
+ Detroit locker ($500+)
+ e-brake cables, etc. ($80)
+ labor ($250)
= over $1600

Remeber the 9" is a freebie and just needs a gear change.

Ah ok... makes sense. So your going to save the cost of a spool, the truss, and the diff cover?

The other thing I would think about with the 9" is how low the pinion is. That may or may not be an issue for you, but it's something to think about.

Yeah it would have a pinion guard for sure.

Back