• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intake heatshield thickness

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
i finally got around to ordering rusty's airtube and a filter, lets say i was going to make a heatshield out of aluminum....

what guage/thickness would be most suitable?? does thinner aluminum do this job better or does thicker material?

definately doesnt matter as long as is doesnt buckle from the pressure...alot of people use pvc pipe.

If you're handy with glue you could paper mashe one out of old toilet paper rolls.

Sean

I have the same set up as you do and am thinking aobut maknig a heat sheild. A friend of mine in town has the K&N FIPK for his TJ and it's made of plastic instead of metal. It has that foam on the outside to form a seal to the hood.

Thickness is less important to a heat shield/sink as radiating area.

I'd probably use .030" or so aluminum, which will allow it to be formed easily, but still be solid enough to put up and stay there. Find some sort of thermal coating, and apply it to the "fresh air" side, which should lower intake temperatures a bit more.

Problem is, you're still not going to address the primary heat source in the intake - the fact that it's all of an inch or so from the header primaries. THAT'S a good place for a heat shield, you know...

5-90

Fred85 said:
i finally got around to ordering rusty's airtube and a filter, lets say i was going to make a heatshield out of aluminum....

what guage/thickness would be most suitable?? does thinner aluminum do this job better or does thicker material?

I used a Thermotec heat blanket to insulate the underside of my intake manifold with excellent results:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/manifold.html

i'll probably end up buying some of that^ i know i've seen that write up before, forgot about it i suppose.......

EDIT: i didn't realize that stuff was $75.....jeez, the non-aluminized stuff is much cheaper

i've got some aluminum flashing lying around, too thin/flimsy for a heatshield?

Last edited:
Fred85 said:
i'll probably end up buying some of that^ i know i've seen that write up before, forgot about it i suppose.......

EDIT: i didn't realize that stuff was $75.....jeez, the non-aluminized stuff is much cheaper

i've got some aluminum flashing lying around, too thin/flimsy for a heatshield?

How thick? I usually work in terms of an actual measurement, and I can't remember how thick "flashing" is...

5-90

Sorry to yank this thread up, but I wanted to see some progress that has been going on with everyone's heat sheilds. I am messing aorund with carboard, which I will transfer to some thinner sheet metal, paint it, put some reflective tape (or what else?) on it and call it good. I also would like to do that heat stuff on the bottom of my intake manifold when I swap my current manifold for the newer 99+ design.

Back