• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd shuddering

ready to mud

NAXJA Forum User
it seems am having a problem with my 4wd. when i am in somewhat deep powder snow(8-12 inches) at slow speeds in 4wd(high or low) i get a really bad shuddering from the front. it seems to be the worst when going straight(odd no?) i am lost as to what it could be as it goes away when i get the jeep going like 20-30km/h but not when i am just spinning with the tires going that speed. also i dont know if it could be related but the shifter also shakes back and forth really bad when the jeep does that(tranny mounts?)

it only does it in somewhat deep snow and only when just slowly chewing through it. the shudder feels like the whole jeep is having a seizure and shaking really bad. also i forgot to mention it but it also does the same thing in the deep snow in 2wd in reverse just not quite as bad

hmm, the only thing i could think of is there is some sort of resistance (be it mechanical, the cold, or the snow) that is causing your jeep to almost stall. although you would see an rpm drop sooo.... it doesnt do it in 2 wheel forward. how bout 4lo reverse or 4hi

i will have to experiment with 4wd reverse but i think it does there too. it happens when i get the tires spinning so it isnt about to stall . i would almost describe it as wheel hop. thanks for any and all help as i am putting on 32s today and dont want to break anything

my xj was doing that in sand and it was the rear u joint binding at the rear differential.

the cure came unexpectedly when i put in an add a leaf. it kept the rear spring pack from flexing and binding the rear joint.

does that make any sense? it sure did not to me but whatever, it worked.

thicker leaf spring pack, no blocks, less binding at the u joint and the stuttering was gone.

boy, was that frustrating.

You're feeling axle hop. If you try to do a burnout on dry pavement with decent tires traction wise you'll get it. Basically your axle is gripping then slipping over and over again so it moves. This is murder on front U-Joints so check them when the truck is parked in 2wd, just grab them if you feel any play replace, if not they still may need replacing just not too soon.

I had a similar issue climbing snow covered hills. The front end was hopping around violently. Bad UCA bushings and too soft Doetsch MV12 shocks were replaced.

-Ron

How are your shocks?

ready to mud said:
they still work. (somewhat) they seem fairly soft. i will be getting new shocks sooner than later but wouldnt new shocks be more of a cover up than a fix
How do you think wheel weights work?

ready to mud said:
true. also it doesnt seem to even be doing it now that i have new my new tires on it. i will know for sure tomorow

What were your old tires, type& size?

What are the new ones, type& size?

IE AT 235's, MT 37's etc...

my old ones were 235's and were just some cheap mud and snow ones that were just a bit more aggresive than an all terrain. my new ones are 32x11.5 bfg mud terrains and after going out and playing in the snow for a couple hours it only did it i think once for about 2 seconds.

ready to mud said:
my old ones were 235's and were just some cheap mud and snow ones that were just a bit more aggresive than an all terrain. my new ones are 32x11.5 bfg mud terrains and after going out and playing in the snow for a couple hours it only did it i think once for about 2 seconds.
How hard were you on the skinny when it happened?

to the balls in 4hi, not that much gas in 4 low did it either way. and i was constantly standing on it with the 32s. i just dont understand why it isnt doing it with the new tires on too

Back