• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 4x4 help

sheeks175

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I just finished my rusty's 8 inch lift and I put on a AA SYE on my NP231 from a 92 cherokee. It drives fine in 2wd, but in 4x4 high and sometimes low it grinds and thumps a little bit. I really don't want to bust open the T-case again, but I think that is what has to happen. It might be the front drive shaft but I highly doubt it. Please give me some ideas of what it could be. This is kind of a tough question, because it could be anything, but any help is appreciated. Thanks
-Patrick :puke:

transmission mount?

are you putting it into 4hi on the pavement?

did everything look ok when you put your SYE in?

did you put all the snap rings in - were there any 'extra' parts?

I bet it IS the front DS.... You will likely need to make some caster adjustments (i.e. you need your alignment to be out of (i.e. less than) the factory setting of 7-9*). A balance of caster and front pinion angle is in order...that or add a t-case drop to help with the front driveline angles...

XJ_ranger said:
transmission mount?

are you putting it into 4hi on the pavement?

did everything look ok when you put your SYE in?

did you put all the snap rings in - were there any 'extra' parts?

I put it in on the pavement on snow, everything looked good going in, it took me awhile though. I had some trouble, and there were no extra parts

CanMan said:
Linkage adjusted properly too?

I believe the linkage is correct

TheNerd said:
I bet it IS the front DS.... You will likely need to make some caster adjustments (i.e. you need your alignment to be out of (i.e. less than) the factory setting of 7-9*). A balance of caster and front pinion angle is in order...that or add a t-case drop to help with the front driveline angles...

I sure hope it is the front ds, im getting it professionally aligned tomorrow. so im prayin that will fix the problem. :passgas:

Back