• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long vs. Short AAL & other ?s

KY-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard that a long (full length) AAL is better than a short AAL, but why exactly? I am looking to do a spacer/AAL BB soon and would like some more input.

Also, is there anything I should go ahead and buy while I'm at it? Either a t-case drop or 3 degree shims? I have heard of vibes with only a BB. I'm not planning on doing shocks at this time because mine are still in good shape, plus they are a pain in the ***** to deal with in the rear.

I have 235s in the AT varitey right now. If I decided to step up to a 3" lift, would 235s look utterly rediculous? It would be a little while (6-9 months) before I can splurge on some new meats.

Thanks for any input.

:wave1:

You don't want a short add-a-leaf. Trust me on this one. I have a 2" Rubicon Express lift, with the short add-a-leaf (purchased before I knew better). In order for a short leaf to re-arch the rest of the leaves in your leaf packs, and thus give you lift, it has to be really thick and really stiff. It rides like crap on the road; it almost feels like there's no suspension back there. Off road, there's no flex at all. If you end up getting a RE 2" kit, have them substitute a long add-a-leaf for the short one.

Definately go with long AAL's. I am running Up Country springs with full length AAL's and got about 3" lift. They ride great and flex pretty well.

I am in the same boat as you with tires, i'm running 235's untill I can afford 30's or 31's and they look a little small but not so bad you can't get away with it for a while.

As far as shocks go, stock front ones will get you buy for a while. They do limit down travel somewhat so if you are planning on doing any hard wheeling you will need to upgrade. Not sure abut the rear, I raised my lower mounts (about 3") up next to the axle to gain clearance and the stock rears are working fine.

I ended up with a 1/2" TC drop and 2 degree shims to get rid of the vibes on my '99. Every jeep is different on this and you'll just have to see what works best for you. 96+ XJ's are more suceptable to vibes than the older ones so if you have an older one you may not need anything.

Hope this helps.

D

dont waste money on either, save up and get a full pack or make your own.

Back